Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

William Boles -aka William Carruthers 1 year 9 months ago #84493

• Geoff786
  • Geoff786's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Yes the Harry photo was sent to me by someone who connected with me. I did not have this photo and when I saw it i looked up the group shot and it was a direct link to me. One older , one younger. I don’t have much on his brothers. I have great luck on Irish civil records which links to Mary Boles in Fermanagh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

William Boles -aka William Carruthers 1 year 9 months ago #84518

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Geoff
I have been looking for clues reference your G Grandfather William James Carrothers/ Boles over the last few days. Unfortunately nothing substantial has been forthcoming. I have enclosed my information for you, which you may or may not wish to follow up? However, here we go.

Reference William's brothers and the image you posted with the chaps in uniform. I checked out James, John and Samuel, and I believe they all served from 1914 to 1920.

John Thomas Carrothers served from 1918 to 1919 in the Royal Garrison Artillery as a Gunner 227451, discharged medically unfit with Asthma and Bronchitis. He lived at 19 Roseleigh Street Belfast.

Samuel Carrothers served from 1914 to 1919 in the Royal Field Artillery
He was a driver, gunner and bombardier 31412, earnt his WW1 trio and was discharged in 1920. Unfortunately his medal and his discharge papers were destroyed in a fire in his home. On joining up he lived at 169, Tates Avenue , Belfast.

James Carrothers is not so clear cut. I have 2 contenders, both served in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 12051 who served in the Balkans and 14033 who was KIA 1916. This James Carrothers left a widow called Mary.....James is the only uncertainty on my part relating to the brothers. I'm sure the information on John and Samuel is correct.

As for the elusive William? I have been down quiet a few rabbit holes and around the world searching for Mr Carruthers/ Carrothers/ Boles and very little to report prior to the 1911 data which you have. I decided to search closer to home and the only glimmer of hope I found is a will and effects register.

Willam James Carruthers who died in 1939, 3rd of September.
He lived in Culmore County Londonderry. He was a merchants assistant
(Possible link to his time as a Grocer?) He left his estate of £533 to be shared with his wife Isabella.....and to a John Carruthers who was a farmer. ( possible father or his brother John?) I know, it's a long shot, but it was the closest match I could find. It may be possible that William could have married again? Certainly worth further research . I wish you well in your future quest Geoff. Please keep the forum posted if any of the information is valid or you manage to track down any additional information pertaining to William.

Best regards

Dave.........
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds