• Page:

TOPIC:

Research & genealogy, H Wade 9 years 3 weeks ago #26765

• Dawnh
  • Dawnh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I am new to all this so any help would be appreciated.

I am researching H Wade
Trooper 1838, Imperial Light Horse, ME (Medal Clasp Entitlement) and L (Ref to written source)
Trooper 1276, Imperial Light Horse, ME / L
Trooper 13, Protectorate Regiment FF, ME / L (Battle of Mafeking)

I have also attached a copies of 2 documents, any help on explanation of the info would help
!. Protectorate Unit. It says he joined the protectorate unit on the 15.8.99, discharged 9.9.00 c of f (not sure what the c of f is for). There is also a written note but I cannot make out what it is but there is a date 24.7.00. Any help on this would also be appreciated.
2. Imperial Light Horse

From the information I have been able to source so far, it is led to believe H Wade was my great grandfather. I am trying to get information on his birth, parentage etc and the only lead I have so far is that he served in the Boer War.

On the casus-belli.uk site, there are a number of options to choose from with regards to information, but I am not sure which will be my best option to purchase or if there is another site where I can further my research.

On Harry Wade's death notice, it says he was European and born in Karachee India, born 29 Sept 1879. I am not sure if he immigrated to South Africa and then joined the Colonial units of the British Army. If this is the case, where would I begin to research his immigration to South Africa? On others sources of information it says he was born in England, so my search has not been an easy one.

Any help would be appreciated :)
Dawn
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Research & genealogy, H Wade 9 years 3 weeks ago #26771

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Dawn
I fear I cannot help about options on another site. However, an old printed booklet I have regarding the QSA clasp "Defence of Mafeking" says that "13 Tpr. Wade, Harry" served in A Squadron of the Protectorate Regiment and that he earned the clasp "Defence of Mafeking". The remarks column adds that the entry was "deleted off this roll and issued for 2/ILH 1276".
I had a look on my 2/ILH roll and "1276 Tpr.H.Wade" is down for clasp "DofM" as well as clasps Cape Colony/Orange Free State and Transvaal and a marginal comment says "decoration issued from this roll. Also 432 Tpr., KFS". That means that Tpr .H.Wade also served in Kitchener's Fighting Scouts. Another crack unit. I regret that I do not have the KFS roll in my collection.
Your quest should include accessing attestation papers for each of the abovementioned units; that may give you additional information to prove things one way or the other.
Good luck
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawnh

Research & genealogy, H Wade 9 years 3 weeks ago #26772

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Dawn,
We get an awful lot of this sort of thing on here, do you know if your great grandfather actually served during the war and if so, are there any other details you can add, medal rolls and nominal rolls seldom ever give you the information you are looking for.
To prove of indeed disprove that the man you have brought up here is actually your great grandfather, the obvious thing to do would be to check his details with any surviving papers which you may find at Kew, Imperial Light Horse are in WO126/55-65, Kitchener's Fighting Scouts are in WO126/76-82 and the Protectorate Regiment are in WO126/105, find some matching details and you have found your great grandfather!
Regards Frank Kelley

Dawnh wrote: Hi, I am new to all this so any help would be appreciated.

I am researching H Wade
Trooper 1838, Imperial Light Horse, ME (Medal Clasp Entitlement) and L (Ref to written source)
Trooper 1276, Imperial Light Horse, ME / L
Trooper 13, Protectorate Regiment FF, ME / L (Battle of Mafeking)

I have also attached a copies of 2 documents, any help on explanation of the info would help
!. Protectorate Unit. It says he joined the protectorate unit on the 15.8.99, discharged 9.9.00 c of f (not sure what the c of f is for). There is also a written note but I cannot make out what it is but there is a date 24.7.00. Any help on this would also be appreciated.
2. Imperial Light Horse

From the information I have been able to source so far, it is led to believe H Wade was my great grandfather. I am trying to get information on his birth, parentage etc and the only lead I have so far is that he served in the Boer War.

On the casus-belli.uk site, there are a number of options to choose from with regards to information, but I am not sure which will be my best option to purchase or if there is another site where I can further my research.

On Harry Wade's death notice, it says he was European and born in Karachee India, born 29 Sept 1879. I am not sure if he immigrated to South Africa and then joined the Colonial units of the British Army. If this is the case, where would I begin to research his immigration to South Africa? On others sources of information it says he was born in England, so my search has not been an easy one.

Any help would be appreciated :)
Dawn

Research & genealogy, H Wade 9 years 3 weeks ago #26773

• Dawnh
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you for this information. As I am not clued up on the units and details of the Boer War, I guess it would be best I start doing some reading up on it. A question, you refer to attestation papers, can you advise me on where I can research or apply to get copies of these?

Research & genealogy, H Wade 9 years 3 weeks ago #26774

• Dawnh
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you for your reply. You refer to Kew, Imperial Light Horse, is this a website? Excuse my ignorance but this is all new to me.

The information I have has been passed down to me by a family member so at this stage I am research whatever I can to try and find some information on Harry Wade. I started with the protectorate unit as it was mentioned that he fought in the Battle of Mafeking and there were medals, since then I also discovered that his was in the Imperial Light Horse Unit.

I originally thought he came over to South Africa from the UK to fight in the Boer War, but from other emails received, it has been suggested that he was already in SA when he joined the British Army to fight in the Boer War. I have hit a brick wall with all my other research, so I am trying this approach and really hoping something will come of it.

Any help, in any form is appreciate.
Dawn

Research & genealogy, H Wade 9 years 3 weeks ago #26775

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Dawn,

And a warm welcome to the form.
The Kew Frank is referring to is here www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/
And a little information on The Imperial Light Horse is here www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...imperial-light-horse

Regards
Paul :)

Dawnh wrote: Thank you for your reply. You refer to Kew, Imperial Light Horse, is this a website? Excuse my ignorance but this is all new to me.

The information I have has been passed down to me by a family member so at this stage I am research whatever I can to try and find some information on Harry Wade. I started with the protectorate unit as it was mentioned that he fought in the Battle of Mafeking and there were medals, since then I also discovered that his was in the Imperial Light Horse Unit.

I originally thought he came over to South Africa from the UK to fight in the Boer War, but from other emails received, it has been suggested that he was already in SA when he joined the British Army to fight in the Boer War. I have hit a brick wall with all my other research, so I am trying this approach and really hoping something will come of it.

Any help, in any form is appreciate.
Dawn

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.408 seconds