QSA to the "Fateful Fifth" - 5VMR. 9 years 10 months ago #19600

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1527
Frank
Thanks for that; useful info.
Regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA to the "Fateful Fifth" - 5VMR. 9 years 10 months ago #19669

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Hi Ian,

A well researched medal. Is that the action (debacle) where the men were ordered to stack their rifles outside their tents? I remember reading about it somewhere, if it isn't the same action it had the same result as the Boers took advantage of the situation.
The post regarding Australian QSA's has me pondering about the numbers entitled as opposed to the number issued and how many went the way of the BWM's during the recession. My main Australian interest is collecting QSA's to Queenslanders and not may are seen on the market. Prices seem to fluctuate with the times and some contingents are more sought after than others regardless of the clasp combination.

Cheers,

Jim

QSA to the "Fateful Fifth" - 5VMR. 9 years 10 months ago #19717

• LinneyI
Jim
Sorry for the delay in responding; I was down in Tasmania on a break (and swapping stories with the learned Stephen Bayley - of which more in another post). Yes, the lads of the Left Wing of 5VMR were reported to have been ordered to keep their rifles with the saddles - at least by one account. Of course, Trouble was not expected, was it? Rudyard summed it up well in his poem M.I. -"once ducky and only once...".
My understanding re Aust QSAs is that they were issued as per the rolls - much the same as others. There are reportedly some real oddities about the medal issue to the very early contingents.
Yes, many Aust QSAs went "into the pot" during the Depression; which hit OZ very hard in 1931 according to my parents, and things were grim even up to the start of WW2. Of course, it was the same everywhere. You know Jim, I sometimes marvel that ANY QSA survived the two World Wars and the Depression; not to mention the Silver Bears of the 1970's.
I will do a post re my favourite Queensland group when I get a chance.
Best regards
IL.

QSA to the "Fateful Fifth" - 5VMR. 9 years 10 months ago #19718

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Ian,
Did this break in Tasmania involve beer? :woohoo:
Regards Frank

QSA to the "Fateful Fifth" - 5VMR. 9 years 10 months ago #19719

• LinneyI
Frank
No, it did not. However, I was able to revisit my favourite Storm Bay Merlot (a very crisp red) on several occasions; as well as dining on the local cuisine! With Stephen, it was only coffee! Tasmanian beer (Cascade and Boags) is lager-like and served cold.
David, forgive the off-topic bit!
Regards to all (hic)
IL.

QSA to the "Fateful Fifth" - 5VMR. 9 years 10 months ago #19733

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply, it sounds as though the visit to Tasmania was most enjoyable. I am partial to a Boag's myself and must admit to not trying the red you mentioned but I'll keep an eye out in the local bottle shops.
I look forward to the post on the Queensland group, my sole example is a 3rd Cont QSA with a Rhodesia clasp and a broken WW1 trio to a South African mounted unit.

Cheers,

Jim

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.414 seconds