Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

ABW medal to 22175 Tpr Edmund Julian Hart, C IN C BODY GUARD...... 10 years 3 months ago #16834

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
John
You might get some additional info if you have a look at the medal roll for the CCCC or any other unit he served with. This is where the research may well come into it. During my time digging around amidst rolls, it was quite usual for medals to be issued well after the conclusion of the conflict and extra clasps to be awarded after that. In addition to the "state" clasps, your man also earned the date clasps. Something more for you to look for.
Good luck!
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ABW medal to 22175 Tpr Edmund Julian Hart, C IN C BODY GUARD...... 10 years 3 months ago #16843

• John S
  • John S's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Linneyl:
I have looked at the CCCC listing on the ABW forum site, but there is no listing for unit mbrs here, so I guess this needs to be looked for by a researcher, as I am in Canada.
Interesting to learn that late medals as well as bar entitlements can come well after the end of hostilities.
I will be looking forward to further information, once I engage a researcher on my behalf.
Cheers,
John S

ABW medal to 22175 Tpr Edmund Julian Hart, C IN C BODY GUARD...... 10 years 3 months ago #16844

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
John
Sometimes well afterwards! A fairly extreme case I ran across related to a QSA/KSA in my collection to the Tembuland Mounted Rifle Club (I have a weakness for obscure units). In that case, the QSA roll was dated 1907, the Cape Colony clasp is on a separate roll dated 1909 and the KSA roll was also dated 1909. Sometimes, late claims had to be considered for both medals and clasps and I am certain that there were many other reasons for late issues.
Keep digging, you never know what will turn up. Even if you draw a blank, you can be sure in the knowledge that your man performed a serious duty in the FID at some time in 1902.
Regards
IL.

ABW medal to 22175 Tpr Edmund Julian Hart, C IN C BODY GUARD...... 10 years 3 months ago #16845

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello John,
I would take the FID rank as a trade, scouts were exactly that and were attached to the various columns, in Hart's case, that were operating in both the Cape Colony against Cape rebels and in the Northern Transvaal on anti commando duties in 1902.
This business of rank in the FID is often misleading, for example, you could have an Inspector in the Army Service Corps, seconded to the SAMIF, actually serving on the veldt with the FID, his QSA might be impressed Agent or Guide, his KSA, Lieutenant and yet their nominal roll will show a Scout, this despite being an officer.
Sadly, few Cape Colony Cyclist Corps attestation and discharge papers have survived in WO126, notwithstanding the fact the this was an SAMIF unit and a researcher here, would not be able to help if his papers are not amongst those which have survived
Many SAMIF units had their rolls prepared by the commanding officer of their discharge depot, which was in Capetown between 1902 and 1907, so quite normal for this man.
Regards Frank

John S wrote: Linneyl/Frank:
Thanks for explaining the importance of the rank "Scout" in the FID.
Your explanations do seem to suggest a person who had special skills that were of great use within the FID. Furthet research on this aspect, if it is still out there, might yield an interesting story.
Is there any info out there that might indicate when my man left the Cape Colony
Cyclist Corps, or when he might have joined/left the FID, or would this only be available to an on site researcher?
T%he documentation seems to indicate that he received his ABW medal in 1906, along with only two of his bar entitlements. Is it unusual to have gotten his medal several years after the end of the war, and would he have gotten the other bar entitlements at a later date?
Thanks!
Cheers,
John S

ABW medal to 22175 Tpr Edmund Julian Hart, C IN C BODY GUARD...... 10 years 3 months ago #16846

• Frank Kelley
WO100/239 merely confirms Hart's prior service in the C in C Body Guard, the QSA and the clasps, roll and issue details, his number and rank and a simple note "FID" so a detailed look in WO126/19-22 would be needed.

LinneyI wrote: John
You might get some additional info if you have a look at the medal roll for the CCCC or any other unit he served with. This is where the research may well come into it. During my time digging around amidst rolls, it was quite usual for medals to be issued well after the conclusion of the conflict and extra clasps to be awarded after that. In addition to the "state" clasps, your man also earned the date clasps. Something more for you to look for.
Good luck!
IL.

ABW medal to 22175 Tpr Edmund Julian Hart, C IN C BODY GUARD...... 10 years 3 months ago #16847

• Frank Kelley
Hello John,
The information on ths site is taken, word for word, from Stirling's book that Ian has already mentioned to you in an earlier reply, so please don't rush out to buy a copy.
As I have said, Hart's number in the Cape Colony Cyclist Corps was 35377 and his rank was Private.
The Cape Colony Cyclist Corps was raised as a class D1 SAMIF unit in Capetown on the 27th of December 1900 and was disbanded, interestingly, on the 30th of June 1902 in Middleburg.
The oringinal establishment of the CCCC when raised was four companies and unusually and also very interestingly, the service period for the founder members was just six weeks.
As I have mentioned, WO126 does contain some papers for this unit, WO126/19-22, but it is not complete, so often, unless, as here, the man had other service in the SAMIF, attestation and discharge will not be found.
Although the CCCC was an SAMIF unit, it came under the direct control of the General Officer Commanding the Cape and not the AAG at Army HQ Pretoria, so I guess, for that very reason, I should not be surprised regarding the lack of papers for this unit.
Happy new year John,
Regards again Frank kelly

John S wrote: Linneyl:
I have looked at the CCCC listing on the ABW forum site, but there is no listing for unit mbrs here, so I guess this needs to be looked for by a researcher, as I am in Canada.
Interesting to learn that late medals as well as bar entitlements can come well after the end of hostilities.
I will be looking forward to further information, once I engage a researcher on my behalf.
Cheers,
John S

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.701 seconds