Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

ABW medal to 22175 Tpr Edmund Julian Hart, C IN C BODY GUARD...... 10 years 4 months ago #16782

• John S
  • John S's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Greetings All:
I am wondering if anyone can help me in establishing the bar entitlements for the above named trooper. I would like to research his military career, which may have involved other units, and perhaps in other campaigns or wars.
As this is a start on this project, can anyone assist or point me in the right direction to accomplish the above. Any assitance to this inexperienced researcher will be graetly appreciated.
Cheers,
John S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ABW medal to 22175 Tpr Edmund Julian Hart, C IN C BODY GUARD...... 10 years 4 months ago #16786

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hart served in the Commander in Chiefs Body Guard, Cape Colony Cyclist Corps and the Field Intelligence Department, his clasp entitlement was a Cape Colony from both the Body Guard and CCCC, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 all from the Body Guard and South Africa 1902 from the FID.

ABW medal to 22175 Tpr Edmund Julian Hart, C IN C BODY GUARD...... 10 years 4 months ago #16789

• John S
Frank:
Many thanks for the prompt reply.
This man seems to have gotten around!
How might I learn when and for how long he might have served with these units?
Are attestation papers out there for the three units he was a member of, or are these not available.
Cheers,
John S

ABW medal to 22175 Tpr Edmund Julian Hart, C IN C BODY GUARD...... 10 years 4 months ago #16790

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello John,
You might find his attestation and perhaps a discharge paper for his service in the Commander in Chiefs Body Guard in WO126/31-34 at Kew, he served as number 35377 in the Cape Colony Cyclist Corps as shown in WO100/239 and as a Scout in the Field Intelligence Department as shown in the supplementary roll WO100/301 for the SA02 clasp.
There is a FID nominal roll too, but, sadly this is far from complete and he is not on it.
His Queens South Africa medal appears to have been issued on the 15th of June 1906 along with his SA 1901 clasp and his SA 1902 clasp appears to have been returned on the 27th of October 1913.
You should note that the Cape Colony Cyclist Corps was an class D1 SAMIF unit not unlike the C in C Body Guard which was raised as a class C unit, it was not a Cape Colony volunteer unit as you would expect it to be, but, few papers have survived in WO126/19-22, if his papers have survived in WO126/31-34 it will not matter as they would have been much the same anyway.
He served in the C in C Body Guard from the 10th of November 1900 to the 20th of May 1901 having both enlisted and then discharged in Capetown.
He then appears to have served in the CCCC and then in the FID, because of this, I would suggest that he might well have been a Cape farming type, in any case, it would be worth your while taking him further.
He is very typical of the type of volunteer who served in the SAMIF during the war, moreover, members of the FID were normally hand picked for their skills and regional knowledge and I do hope that any further research will bare much fruit for you.
Kind regards Frank Kelley

ABW medal to 22175 Tpr Edmund Julian Hart, C IN C BODY GUARD...... 10 years 4 months ago #16794

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
John
As soon as I saw the magic letters "F.I.D" in Frank's reply, I dug out my copy of the F.I.D. roll published some years ago by David Buxton. I have a certain interest in the F.I.D. All I can add is that your man held the rank of "Scout" in the Field Intelligence Department. A very responsible position to hold.
Good luck with your further research.
IL.

ABW medal to 22175 Tpr Edmund Julian Hart, C IN C BODY GUARD...... 10 years 4 months ago #16801

• John S
Gents:
Thanks for this.
Being overseas, I guess I will have to get a researcher who can dig up the info from TNA on my man. Can you suggest anyone who can do this smoothly, at a reasonable price?
Thanks!
John S

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.775 seconds