Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 10 years 4 months ago #16211

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
I always take a long critical look on anything that has had the claw altered, the usual thing that you will encounter is a rebuilt medal that had once been worn as a brooch and I avoid any that clearly have been.
However, from just looking at the photo, that appears not to be the case here, so for me, it would all have come down to the price being asked.
As you will know both F and G Squadrons were rather special, they have a separate roll in WO127, it was what members of these two squadrons went on to do rather than what they were actually doing in the Colonial Scouts that made them so very special.
I also like the Colonial Scouts full stop, they were really a Natal Corps, yet they were attested rather like the SAMIF.
I have to say that it took me quite some time to add men from these particular squadrons to my collection, so for you to just get one of William Knott's boys as your first, well, I think you are rather fortunate.
As I said to you in the other thread when you made mention of this medal, I would, if I were you, consult WO126/30 before doing anything else.
A very brief look at this fellow in WO127, RG14 and WO100 tells me that Trooper George Jones was a twenty two year old Bristolian when he joined the Colonial Scouts, he returned home after the campaign and married and worked as a labourer, I would think for the cities corporation tramway department.
If I were you, I would tackle Jones here before looking for him in Natal, so again, check WO126/30 and the lists in BT26 and BT27.
I wish you bon chance, he may prove to be very interesting indeed, moreover, I do hope that will be indeed be the case for you.
Kind regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 10 years 4 months ago #16212

• Jon
  • Thank you received: 50
Munroe,

One geeky reason I like the group is that it represents the medals of 4 governments;
1) British gov issued the SA(Zulu War) and QSA/KSA
2) Cape gov - the CGSM
3) Natal gov - the 1906
4) South African gov - bilingual Victory Medal

Rgds,
Jon

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 10 years 4 months ago #16222

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Morning Frank,
Thank you for taking the time to look Trooper Jones up.
I assume the W.O.'s you suggest are from Kew?
At least I know his first name now and a little background, thank you.

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
I always take a long critical look on anything that has had the claw altered, the usual thing that you will encounter is a rebuilt medal that had once been worn as a brooch and I avoid any that clearly have been.
However, from just looking at the photo, that appears not to be the case here, so for me, it would all have come down to the price being asked.
As you will know both F and G Squadrons were rather special, they have a separate roll in WO127, it was what members of these two squadrons went on to do rather than what they were actually doing in the Colonial Scouts that made them so very special.
I also like the Colonial Scouts full stop, they were really a Natal Corps, yet they were attested rather like the SAMIF.
I have to say that it took me quite some time to add men from these particular squadrons to my collection, so for you to just get one of William Knott's boys as your first, well, I think you are rather fortunate.
As I said to you in the other thread when you made mention of this medal, I would, if I were you, consult WO126/30 before doing anything else.
A very brief look at this fellow in WO127, RG14 and WO100 tells me that Trooper George Jones was a twenty two year old Bristolian when he joined the Colonial Scouts, he returned home after the campaign and married and worked as a labourer, I would think for the cities corporation tramway department.
If I were you, I would tackle Jones here before looking for him in Natal, so again, check WO126/30 and the lists in BT26 and BT27.
I wish you bon chance, he may prove to be very interesting indeed, moreover, I do hope that will be indeed be the case for you.
Kind regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 10 years 4 months ago #16225

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
Yes, all at Kew, you might take it further in PMB, but, I'd start here first if I were you.
I'd be quite pleased with it, as I said, for me, it would just come down to the asking price, not a medal you see every day, even here!
Kind regards Frank

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 10 years 4 months ago #16237

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Paul,

A lovely item to an unusual unit. I always imagined the scouts worked hard with Buller in the relief efforts.

Excellent photography too.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 10 years 4 months ago #16238

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Jon,

That's an interesting perspective and one I have not considered before.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.456 seconds