Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 10 years 3 months ago #16169

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Lately I have been concentrating on Imperial Unit medals, this changed on Sunday when a purchased a new South African unit to me.

Trooper G.Jones Colonial Scouts
I was not very well versed on the Colonial Scouts when I saw this medal, but with a little advice from a friend at the fair Davidh I decided to add it to the collection.
I had checked the medal rolls before purchase because of the lack of a number on the medal, my mind was put at rest when I found a G.Jones on the rolls minus number.

I also looked on the nominal rolls on this site and found he served in "F" Squadron

I have since read a little about the Colonial Scout in Stirlings book and found they evolved into other Units.
It seems the claw on the medal has had a repair, but things like that don't really put me off.
I buy because I like something and not particularly for re-investment reasons.
Would be most grateful for any comments.

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 10 years 3 months ago #16175

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Hi Paul

Thank you for showing your latest 'finds'. I enjoy reading about other people's acquisitions.

There was a G Jones in F Squadron of the Colonial Scouts - I have not checked the other rolls. F Squadron was under the command of Captain W Knott and was called the 'Zululand Scouts'. There is a short account of this squadron in 'Natal Volunteer Record', which was published in 1900, and I will e-mail you a scan of the relevant pages.

F Squadron did in fact skirmish with the Boers at Babanango on 13/3/1900 and caused them some damage, including the capture of their livestock. The only CS casualty in this affair was the wounding of Sgt Cheesman's horse. (I have Sgt Cheesman's Zulu War medal in my collection, hence my interest in F Squadron.)

Regards
Brett

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 10 years 3 months ago #16176

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Brett,

Many thanks for your reply and the extra information.
Received your email, thank you.

Paul :)

Brett Hendey wrote: Hi Paul

Thank you for showing your latest 'finds'. I enjoy reading about other people's acquisitions.

There was a G Jones in F Squadron of the Colonial Scouts - I have not checked the other rolls. F Squadron was under the command of Captain W Knott and was called the 'Zululand Scouts'. There is a short account of this squadron in 'Natal Volunteer Record', which was published in 1900, and I will e-mail you a scan of the relevant pages.

F Squadron did in fact skirmish with the Boers at Babanango on 13/3/1900 and caused them some damage, including the capture of their livestock. The only CS casualty in this affair was the wounding of Sgt Cheesman's horse. (I have Sgt Cheesman's Zulu War medal in my collection, hence my interest in F Squadron.)

Regards
Brett

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 10 years 3 months ago #16198

• munroe
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi

I pasted this pic before. But I think this is Capt W Knott that you are referring to

Kind regards

Munroe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 10 years 3 months ago #16199

• Jon
  • Thank you received: 50
Munroe - that's a fantastic South African group. Do you have a short bio of Capt Knott?

Rgds,
Jon

Medals to the Colonial Scouts 10 years 3 months ago #16209

• munroe
  • Thank you received: 47
Dear Jon

Major Knott had an incredible career. He was in the party that recovered the body of the Prince Imperial in the Zulu war, with the small group that annexed thee Transvaal in 1881, but his main claim to fame was the "removal" of Bambatta head in the 1906 Zulu Rebellion. The family told me he was a tough guy. In WW1 his one sone was commissioned and the other made sergt. He would not allow this son to sit at the dinner table as this was reserved for officers only.

Kind regards

Munroe

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.860 seconds