Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

81659 W.H.Robinson T Bty RHA casualty, any info on action PLEASE!!! 10 years 11 months ago #11012

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Paul,
The published casualty roll for the Anglo Boer War is full of errors and omissions, it is often very miss leading too, even the dates are subject to debate, there are people who will tell you that this engagement took place on the 14th, the 15th and indeed the 17th!

You often get names that one would think were towns or villages, but, were just farms, then you often find two farms that had the same name in the same area, the whole country is a real melting pot!

Now then Paul, you are taking me back to my early childhood now, but, I am quite sure that T Battery was attached to the 1st Cavalry Brigade under Colonel Clowes, moreover, I also think they were engaged at Witpoort on the 16th of July and it was on that day and not the following day.

There are no dairy's for the Boer War like those in WO95 at Kew and you need to look at this war in a differant way, a number of casualties from this battle are to be found at Braamfontein.

Kind regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

81659 W.H.Robinson T Bty RHA casualty, any info on action PLEASE!!! 10 years 11 months ago #11014

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Paul and Frank,

I have several photo's of graves around the Colenso area but don't want to hog this thread. However, this one gets me every time I look at it!!

Brave men

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
Attachments:

81659 W.H.Robinson T Bty RHA casualty, any info on action PLEASE!!! 10 years 11 months ago #11018

• Frank Kelley
Hello Adrian,
Tell me, how old is this particular stone, looks like granite and appears quite modern to me, I don't remember seeing any like this as a boy.
Kind regards Frank

81659 W.H.Robinson T Bty RHA casualty, any info on action PLEASE!!! 10 years 11 months ago #11019

• capepolice
Frank,

No idea at all. It's been there for as long as I can remember and some. It's been weather beaten for sure.

Regards
Adrian

81659 W.H.Robinson T Bty RHA casualty, any info on action PLEASE!!! 10 years 11 months ago #11020

• Frank Kelley
Hello Adrian,
Who are these men, are they Colonel Long's?
Regards Frank

81659 W.H.Robinson T Bty RHA casualty, any info on action PLEASE!!! 10 years 11 months ago #11022

• capepolice
Hi Frank,

There are no names at all, only the stone as shown.

Regards
Adrian

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.465 seconds