Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

81659 W.H.Robinson T Bty RHA casualty, any info on action PLEASE!!! 10 years 11 months ago #10953

• paulmatlock1
  • paulmatlock1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I have a QSA medal to 81659 W H Robinson T Bty R.H.A. I have done a little research, and guess that he was wounded at Diamond Hill (but I cant be certain) and died later but would love to get any further information on the action, circumstances and place of burial etc.
Do Boer war casualties have headstones, similar to Great War soldiers? Are there likely to be Battalion War Dairies and if so would these likely to shed much light on the action?
Any info would be greatly received.
Many thanks Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

81659 W.H.Robinson T Bty RHA casualty, any info on action PLEASE!!! 10 years 11 months ago #10956

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

Gunner Robinson was wounded at Leeuwpoort on 17 July 1900 and died of his wounds at Leeuwpoort on 22 July 1900.

He is buried in Braamfontein Cemetery, Johannesburg.

Regards,

Justin

81659 W.H.Robinson T Bty RHA casualty, any info on action PLEASE!!! 10 years 11 months ago #10959

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Paul,
Some information on T Bty R.H.A. in the link below.
www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...-artillery-t-battery

Paul :)

paulmatlock1 wrote: Hi, I have a QSA medal to 81659 W H Robinson T Bty R.H.A. I have done a little research, and guess that he was wounded at Diamond Hill (but I cant be certain) and died later but would love to get any further information on the action, circumstances and place of burial etc.
Do Boer war casualties have headstones, similar to Great War soldiers? Are there likely to be Battalion War Dairies and if so would these likely to shed much light on the action?
Any info would be greatly received.
Many thanks Paul

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

81659 W.H.Robinson T Bty RHA casualty, any info on action PLEASE!!! 10 years 11 months ago #10960

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
I should not venture to Braamfontein, without body armour!
Welcome to this forum by the way.
Regards Frank

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: paulmatlock1

81659 W.H.Robinson T Bty RHA casualty, any info on action PLEASE!!! 10 years 11 months ago #10966

• paulmatlock1
  • paulmatlock1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, that's fantastic info!!

Please could any one give me any info on the action at Leeuwpoort and possibly T Bty RHA involvement.

Keep it coming please!!

Cheers Paul

81659 W.H.Robinson T Bty RHA casualty, any info on action PLEASE!!! 10 years 11 months ago #10975

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Paul,
I suspect that this was actually the engagement at Witpoort, to the east of Irene, that began on the 16th July, when about 2000 Boers with several artillery pieces attacked at first light, from memory I think the fighting went on until late afternoon.
Regards Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.521 seconds