Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Jameson Raid Reform Committee 11 years 2 weeks ago #9896

• rdarby
  • rdarby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Hi

When the Jameson Raid was being rounded up, so was the Reform Committee. They were in the ZAR plotting from the inside, for want of a better description.

Just over 60 of them went to trial.

Does anyone know if records would have been kept/remain of those trials? I would assume there would have been a file on each accused? Since these were internal ZAR court processes, I would think they are still in the area somewhere?

I am trying to find more information on CAC Tremeer.

Regards
Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jameson Raid Reform Committee 11 years 1 week ago #9914

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
Dear Ryan,

Many thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

The Reform Committee were basically tried as a bunch in Pretoria and released on payment of a fine and agreement that they would not take part in Transvaal politics agains (paid for by the Randlords), apart from Wools-Sampson and Karri Davies who refused to pay and were imprisoned until Queen's Victoria Diamond Jubilee in 1897 when Kruger released them. They formed the Imperial Light Horse in September 1899.

The Raiders were shipped to England where a Scotland Yard detective boarded the ship and effected what is still the biggest mass arrest in UK history.

The subsequent trials of the aristocratic leaders became one of that year's social events.

I have notes on Tremeer in a Boer War file somewhere. Do you have further details that can point me in the right direction?

Best wishes,

Justin

Jameson Raid Reform Committee 11 years 1 week ago #9921

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Ryan

This reply does not help your enquiry, but you might be interested in a photograph of the QSA of one of the leading members of the Reform Committee, Douglas Gilfillan.

Regards
Brett

Attachments:

Jameson Raid Reform Committee 11 years 1 week ago #9939

• rdarby
Brett, it just makes me drool!

This is what I know about Tremeer, and is what came with the medals. I have since started finding references to him in books, where he is mentioned as being one of those in the dock at the trial. I would love to get more on the trial, and a photo. I am also trying to find out about his Chamber of Commerce time, there must be something on that somewhere:

Born in London 25 November 1856 son of Thomas Brockwell Tremeer, of Cornwall and of Julie Chevret Tremeer. He was educated at Belgrave House School, London. He joined the Cape Frontier Mounted Police in June 1875;

Served in the Native Rebellion, in the Transkei, and in the Gaika and
Galeka wars. In 1880 he was Lieutenant in Command of the King William's Town Artillery in Umtata,and for his brilliant defence of that town was presented with a Sword of Honour and later became Staff Officer to Sir Henry Elliott. In 1886 he proceeded to Johannesburg, and retired from the Colonial Volunteer Forces, gazetted as retaining the rank of Major. In 1886 he retired as Major from the King William's Town Artillery, and founded the firm of Tremeer & Cummings in 1887—the first firm in Johannesburg, and was the first President of the Johannesburg Chamber of Commerce. From 1892-1915 he was on the staff of the Farrar-Anglo-French group.

Tremeer played a significant role in the attempt to overthrow the Transvaal Government in 1896. As a Senior member of the Reform Committee 1895-6, Tremeer was head of 300 armed men named the Tremeer Corps. The organisation was involved in the Uitlander Risings in Johannesburg which were timed to co-ordinate with the Jameson Raids of 1896. Johannesburg was effectively taken over by Leaders of the Committee, however with the raid by Jameson ending in failure, there was no hope of holding out against the Kruger Government. Among the warrants issued in the first instance for the
leaders of the Reform Committee was one for Major Tremeer. Charged with High Treason, the 64 Reform Prisoners were kept in the most terrible conditions in Jail for months, with the threat of the Death Sentence hanging over their heads (Unlike Jameson’s men who were just deported). Tremeer was eventually sentenced to 3 years' imprisonment. However it was then agreed that he would pay a fine of £3,000 in lieu of this.

Lieutenant Colonel Tremeer served in the South African War, from 1899-1902, with the South African Mounted Irregular Forces (SAMIF); was Field Staff Officer on the Staff of Lord Roberts, and also of Lord Kitchener. He was mentioned in Despatches (London Gazette, 29 July 1902); and Awarded the Distinguished Service Order (London Gazette, 31 October 1902):"Charles Arthur Claude Tremeer, Major, South African Mounted Forces. In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa".

During WW1 Lieutenant Colonel Tremeer served as DAQMG in the German South-West African
Campaign, and was mentioned in Despatches. Although his job seems to have not taken him on Campaign and as such received no medals. He was the Imperial Trade correspondent to HM Board of Trade till the time of his death on 2 November 1918. Lieutenant Colonel Tremeer was knocked down by a motor-car in Johannesburg, and died a few hours later.

Jameson Raid Reform Committee 11 years 1 week ago #9942

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Ryan

I can understand why you are so interested in Tremeer - another of the remarkable men in South Africa's late Victorian history. Do you have his medals?

Regards
Brett

Jameson Raid Reform Committee 11 years 1 week ago #9945

• rdarby
I do have them. I've become quite interested in the raid lately. What I still want though is a JVC medal to someone who rode out against them.

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.646 seconds