Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A Reservist - Explanation required 11 years 2 weeks ago #9527

• 4everblue
  • 4everblue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, just been looking into Gt.Grandfather's time during the Boer War. Found him under the 5th Dragoon Guards. The note states - QSA (1). A Reservist.

My question is, what is an A. Reservist? Did he actually see combat? All my father can recollect from him is that he used to 'Break horses'.

Also, what's the (1) mean?

Many thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Reservist - Explanation required 11 years 2 weeks ago #9536

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning and welcome to this forum,
The Army Enlistment Act 1870 saw the introduction of the Short Service engagement, so instead of a period of service of 21 years, a man could now do just 12 years.
So actual service, on duty, with the colours could be for seven years and a period in the reserve would then be five years, an "A" reservist means that a man would be liable to be recalled back to the colours in the event of a serious national emergency, such as the Anglo Boer War, your great grandfather was one such man
There were differant types of reserve, others, for example, who could only be recalled for a general mobilisation etc.
If you want me to look at him, I'd be happy to do so.
Again welcome, kind regards Frank
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4everblue

A Reservist - Explanation required 11 years 2 weeks ago #9539

• 4everblue
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Many thanks Frank. I wasn't sure if it meant that he was held back whilst out there from any action i.e. being put in a reserve company & only being used when needed. I can see what you mean now as it is stated on the first page of the WO97 form.

I notice on the page that I put up that he was with the 5th Dragoon Guards & recalled in Nov 1899. However, the next line in purple starts with VII D.G. R Posted 31 Mch 00? I'm a little confused by this. Is this the 7th Dragoon Guards? On the site here he only appears on the 5th not the 7th. I'm a little confused.

Any information about him or where he was would be most welcome.

Martin

A Reservist - Explanation required 11 years 2 weeks ago #9540

• Frank Kelley
Hello Martin,
Yes, VII DG is indeed the 7th Dragoon Guards, but his Queens South Africa medal was issued from the roll of the 5th Dragoon Guards and is shown in WO100/113 page 13.
He served with the 7th DG in South Africa, as did many men in the 5th DG, until the 2nd of August 1902 and he is on their medal roll for his Kings South Africa medal and clasps, WO100/302 page 194.
Regards Frank
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4everblue

A Reservist - Explanation required 11 years 2 weeks ago #9541

• Frank Kelley
Martin,
I just wanted to add, that in those long ago days, if you joined the Cavalry, you were joining an elite formation, that was years ahead of its European counterparts, when men joined, they were, in effect, joining a Corps of Dragoon Guards or a Corps of Hussars etc and men were often moved between Regts within their Corps, this countinued for some years and into the Great War.
It was not an easy life either, you had the additional workload of looking after your horse and the horse came first.
The "Breaking of horses" that you mentioned in your first post might suggest that your great grandfather was attached to a remount depot, as would the lack of clasps on his QSA.
Make no mistake the British Cavalry were very good soldiers indeed and your great grandfather would be doing what was a very important job to not have been sent home until August 1902, as he was a reservist after all.
Regards Frank

A Reservist - Explanation required 11 years 2 weeks ago #9542

• 4everblue
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks again Frank. Is there any reference material that I can look up that directly relates to him &/or the 7th during this period?

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.821 seconds