Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A Reservist - Explanation required 11 years 1 week ago #9599

• 4everblue
  • 4everblue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I read Mike's post with interest but it covers the medals rather than information about the Remount Depots themselves. What went on, any photographs etc.

Similar to this -

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Reservist - Explanation required 11 years 1 week ago #9600

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think that is exactly what you need be reading, also if I were you I would contact the NAM Chelsea and ask them about the remount service and I think perhaps a visit to the AMS Museum at Keogh Barracks in Mytchett might be worthwhile too, I don't know how extensive their records are, but, I do know they have a lot of AVC stuff.

4everblue wrote: I read Mike's post with interest but it covers the medals rather than information about the Remount Depots themselves. What went on, any photographs etc.

Similar to this -

The following user(s) said Thank You: 4everblue

A Reservist - Explanation required 11 years 1 week ago #9607

• Frank Kelley
Hello Martin,
I think I should mention that there was a report on the administration of the Army Remount Dept that was published by HMSO in 1902, it relates only to the Anglo Boer War, I would be very surprised if it saw additional print runs, you would have to contact the HMSO and ask them.
I do have an original copy, somewhere, but, from memory, this was more about just how the Army managed to get through half a million horses and not the sort of information you are after.
I'll have to see if I can find it,
Regards Frank

Frank Kelley wrote: I think that is exactly what you need be reading, also if I were you I would contact the NAM Chelsea and ask them about the remount service and I think perhaps a visit to the AMS Museum at Keogh Barracks in Mytchett might be worthwhile too, I don't know how extensive their records are, but, I do know they have a lot of AVC stuff.

4everblue wrote: I read Mike's post with interest but it covers the medals rather than information about the Remount Depots themselves. What went on, any photographs etc.

Similar to this -

The following user(s) said Thank You: 4everblue

A Reservist - Explanation required 11 years 4 days ago #9748

• 4everblue
  • 4everblue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Just a quick question Frank,you mentioned a lack of clasps for my Gt. Grandfather but intimated that there could be at least one. Is there a chance you can see which clasp(s)he has & with which medal? I'm assuming there's nothing with the QSA but a general 1901 or 1902 with the KSA if I'm reading the medal pages correctly.
Many thanks.
I've been delving into the Remount Service & have found it very interesting. Thank you again for pointing me in that direction.
Martin

A Reservist - Explanation required 11 years 4 days ago #9754

• Frank Kelley
Hello,
Yes, both the South Africa 1901 and 1902 clasps on the Kings SA medal.
Regards Frank

4everblue wrote: Just a quick question Frank,you mentioned a lack of clasps for my Gt. Grandfather but intimated that there could be at least one. Is there a chance you can see which clasp(s)he has & with which medal? I'm assuming there's nothing with the QSA but a general 1901 or 1902 with the KSA if I'm reading the medal pages correctly.
Many thanks.
I've been delving into the Remount Service & have found it very interesting. Thank you again for pointing me in that direction.
Martin

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.062 seconds