Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 10 years 2 months ago #17470

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Frank

The seller thought the medal was "as issued", hence his refusal to take it back. However, I was still unconvinced that the 'Elandslaagte' clasp was correct, so, when the opportunity arose to get rid of the medal, I did. Is it possible that when the clasps were added to the medal, an 'Elandslaagte' was substituted in error for a 'Cape Colony' one?

Regards
Brett

PS It took another 13 years before I did add a Gordon Highlanders 'Elandslaagte' to my collection.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 10 years 2 months ago #17476

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4518
Brett,

I think you chose the right decision and certainly one that was backed by the evidence from the rolls.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 10 years 2 months ago #17479

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
What I meant was if the medal and clasps had been issued together from the mint in error, I would have kept it as a most unusual talking point, if it was not, if it has been messed around with, then it is without value, other than the actual value of the clasps etc, always assuming them to be original.
A friend of mine has an original named Aircrew Europe Star in a group, to a South African, but it was issued in error by the South African Government, but, is therefore very unusual and indeed rare, so it remains a talking point.
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Frank

The seller thought the medal was "as issued", hence his refusal to take it back. However, I was still unconvinced that the 'Elandslaagte' clasp was correct, so, when the opportunity arose to get rid of the medal, I did. Is it possible that when the clasps were added to the medal, an 'Elandslaagte' was substituted in error for a 'Cape Colony' one?

Regards
Brett

PS It took another 13 years before I did add a Gordon Highlanders 'Elandslaagte' to my collection.

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 10 years 2 months ago #17485

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Frank

Even if Adams' medal had then been identified as a genuine mistake made by the issuing agent, I would still have got rid of it. At that time, I was starting to focus on Buller's Natal Campaign and it was, and still is the battles and the men who fought in them that interest me. The Adams acquisition was not the only mistake I made in my early collecting years, and most such medals have since found new homes.

Regards
Brett

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 10 years 2 months ago #17493

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
I think when you are dealing with a subject as big as the Anglo Boer War, the key is, indeed, to specialize and I have always very much liked the Natal campaign as much as I have the awful and brutal phase in Northern Transvaal in 1901 and 1902.
Regards Frank

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 10 years 2 months ago #17499

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4518
Brett,

That would be an interesting but somewhat sad thread 'Medals I wish I hadn't let go'.

I am just thinking now of several nominees for such a post :(
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.740 seconds