Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 10 years 2 months ago #17306

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello David,
Rarer by a long way, but, perhaps not so sought after, the senior cavalry officer that took part in the charge, ahead of that single squadron of his own regt was also a DG, Major Gore, I know which I'd rather have! :)
Kind regards Frank

djb wrote: I echo Frank's earlier comment about a preference for 5DG QSA over a 5L QSA. Notwithstanding the issue over which Lancers did charge, there were some 160 5DG QSAs compared to 403 5L QSAs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 10 years 2 months ago #17307

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
I came across this picture from 10 years ago of a QSA to 2315 Tpr Percy Adams of the SALH that contained an Elandslaagte clasp to which I don't believe he was entitled. His entitlement was to CC, OFS, Tr, 01 & 02.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 10 years 1 month ago #17447

• Frank Kelley
Hello David,
It would be very interesting to see the rivets on this particular medal, if it was issued like that, it would certainly be a talking point in any collection.
Regards Frank

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 10 years 1 month ago #17449

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Indeed. I wonder where it ended up?
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 10 years 1 month ago #17456

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Adams' medal was once in my collection. My wife had bought me a Gordon Highlanders Elandslaagte medal, but was asked by the seller to exchange it for the Adams' one instead. I became disenchanted with Adams' medal after I realised it probably was incorrect, but the seller disagreed. I kept it until another local collector was looking for an Elandslaagte medal for the owner of a B&B in the vicinity of the battlefield. I told him of my doubts about the Adams medal, but evidently it suited the purposes of the B&B owner, so a deal was struck. I suspect that the B&B must have fallen on hard times, as many of them did after the euphoria of the centenary celebrations wore off, because I later saw the medal offered for sale by a ?dealer in Johannesburg. I felt guilty that it had ended up back on the market, and perhaps I should instead have been consigned to the melting pot while I had the chance to do so. Hopefully, I have learnt from this mistake.

Brett

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 10 years 1 month ago #17458

• Frank Kelley
Hello Brett,
Did it appear to you, as issued, if so, I think that I'd have kept it.
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Adams' medal was once in my collection. My wife had bought me a Gordon Highlanders Elandslaagte medal, but was asked by the seller to exchange it for the Adams' one instead. I became disenchanted with Adams' medal after I realised it probably was incorrect, but the seller disagreed. I kept it until another local collector was looking for an Elandslaagte medal for the owner of a B&B in the vicinity of the battlefield. I told him of my doubts about the Adams medal, but evidently it suited the purposes of the B&B owner, so a deal was struck. I suspect that the B&B must have fallen on hard times, as many of them did after the euphoria of the centenary celebrations wore off, because I later saw the medal offered for sale by a ?dealer in Johannesburg. I felt guilty that it had ended up back on the market, and perhaps I should instead have been consigned to the melting pot while I had the chance to do so. Hopefully, I have learnt from this mistake.

Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.534 seconds