Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Newest aquisition--9th Lancers 11 years 1 month ago #9081

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Oh I don't intend to yet, My mother turns 99 this year, my Grandfather died at 105 (even though he smoked and had been gassed in WW1) so with the longevity in my family I expect to be here for a long long time.....

Maybe finally do what I have tried to do since I started collecting QSA's and that it to get one to every unit that was entitled to one.....

Mike

Frank Kelley wrote: Don't "Shuffle off" any time yet!

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newest aquisition--9th Lancers 11 years 1 month ago #9085

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Wow! :woohoo: but, regarding that second paragraph, not an easy thing to attempt to do, so I can only wish you good luck!

QSAMIKE wrote: Oh I don't intend to yet, My mother turns 99 this year, my Grandfather died at 105 (even though he smoked and had been gassed in WW1) so with the longevity in my family I expect to be here for a long long time.....

Maybe finally do what I have tried to do since I started collecting QSA's and that it to get one to every unit that was entitled to one.....

Mike

Frank Kelley wrote: Don't "Shuffle off" any time yet!

Newest aquisition--9th Lancers 11 years 1 month ago #9468

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246
Here's one from my collection. It's the only 9th Lancers QSA I have but the clasp combination is unique to the regiment.

Edit: Medal awarded to 3859 Pte. W Ferguson. POW Thaba 'Nchu 28/4/1900 and wounded Spytfontein 28/6/1901. After his discharge he became a warder at Parkhurst prison.

There seems to be a bit of a conundrum with Natal clasps to the 9th Lancers. There were many awarded but a cavalry collector once told me that there's no record of the regiment ever having set foot in Natal. When I looked into it I couldn't find any record either. Anyone know different?

David

Newest aquisition--9th Lancers 11 years 1 month ago #9470

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
The 9th Lancers arrived in Durban on October 9th and October 10th in three transport ships from India, the Wardha, the Nowshera and the Nairung.

The Regiment was ordered to proceed immediately to the Cape but reserve stores and forage were landed at Durban.

I can imagine that some men went ashore to do this and subsequently joined the Regiment in the Cape.

Justin

Newest aquisition--9th Lancers 11 years 1 month ago #9479

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
Members of this regt, who got the Natal clasp really do stand out in the main roll, because there are just so few of them, but, within WO100/116, there is a seperate roll for the Natal clasp, pages 55-63.

David, a superb medal, as are all those who have the Natal clasp, but, you do not say who this particular recipient is?
Kind regards Frank

davidh wrote: Here's one from my collection. It's the only 9th Lancers QSA I have but the clasp combination is unique to the regiment.

There seems to be a bit of a conundrum with Natal clasps to the 9th Lancers. There were many awarded but a cavalry collector once told me that there's no record of the regiment ever having set foot in Natal. When I looked into it I couldn't find any record either. Anyone know different?

David

Newest aquisition--9th Lancers 11 years 1 month ago #9500

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246
Justin - Thanks for the information. It's clear that a number did set foot in Natal but it sounds like they didn't get much further than Durban.

Frank - Thanks for the information. Clearly the Natal clasp is scarcer to the regiment than I'd appreciated. Apologies for the oversight in not giving the recipient's details which I've added as an edit to my original post.

Cheers

David

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.483 seconds