Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Newest aquisition--9th Lancers 11 years 1 month ago #8782

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Well Paul,
I suppose £120 is about the going rate these days, you will get one in due course, I am sure, I mentioned the 1914 Star and Bar, because this regt really was the iconic cavalry regt in the British Army.
Not only at Elouges in August, but, also at Moncel in September, when Colonel Campbell drew his revolver and said "Follow me, gentlemen" for one last time, the Ninth, did it the "old fashioned" way, with sword and lance, moreover, I feel sure that when Sgt John Taylor died, he was indeed the last British cavalry man to carry the scar of a lance wound to his grave!
There is no better regt in my opinion, but, again, your money, your collection.
I only hope you have as much fun as I have and continue to have, though, not very often these days. :(
Again, regards Frank

coldstream wrote: Frank,
The dealer I purchased from is based in Suffolk so I guess he aquired them locally.
They are some seriously superb examples you have there, your collection must be envious.
I have made tentative enquiries with a badge dealer about the availabilty of a 9th Victorian badge, he stressed the were quite rare and around £120.
A very nice badge to have in a collection though.

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
They resided in the stock of a dealer in Suffolk for all of last year, medals to this regt are very sought after and have a very serious following with a number of collectors always on the lookout for this regt.
I have not bought anything to the ninth for ages now, but, all their medals are really nice in my opinion, I think the last medal I bought was an Afghanistan, single clasp Kabul to a Bandsman Corporal, who was severly wounded in action by a gun shot to the chest.
As you may know this regt took part in the famous charge at Killa Kazi, moreover, I still have the very first medal that I ever bought to this regt, a Punniar Star to a Private, awarded for the action against the Mahrattas on the 29th of December 1843, a super little bit of bronze and silver, it is still a favourite.
Down the years I have been able to add a number of other good medals, including a three clasp Mutiny/Punjab pair, so I am quite content.
As far as the Anglo Boer War goes, I should look out for a good ten clasp pair, if you are feeling weathy, if not, I should look out for a nice Victorian FS cap badge, though I suspect, you have to take out a mortgage to buy one of those, these days. :(
Kind regards Frank

coldstream wrote: Hello Frank,
Thank you for your comments, how ironic that you nearly bought them!
Who was the original dealer or was it an auction?

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
I was a little surprised to see these on the market again, so soon and in the hands of another dealer, I almost bought them last year, but, as I already have a good collection of Dehli Spearmen, I decided on something else instead, but, they are a very nice and really quite a scarce pair to what some people consider to be the finest cavalry regt of its day, I normally say to people, forget the Great War, its all number crunching, but, I say to you now, go and get yourself a good 1914 Star and Bar trio to an August man.
Kind regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newest aquisition--9th Lancers 11 years 1 month ago #8791

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning Paul,
This was the last "Ninth" item I bought, a little leather bound copy of their Standing Orders, though, this particular one is pre Boer War, circa 1890.
It was carried at all times by every Officer, Troop Sergeant-Major and Sergeant of the regt, corrected and up to date.
Section L, is rather interesting, it covers "Women" and part 5 makes things very clear in respect of "dirty" ones!
Regards Frank

Attachments:

Newest aquisition--9th Lancers 11 years 1 month ago #8794

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Good Morning Frank,

Great book,and a very treasured possesion,I am sure it is a very interesting read, "section 5" how times have changed!

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Newest aquisition--9th Lancers 11 years 1 month ago #8797

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443

Hi Everybody
The 9th Lancers also happens to be my favourite cavalry crowd and I am fortunate to have obtained two DCM groups and a number of choice MiD and Casualty items between 20 & 30 years ago.
The best one is the Andrews group (ex Upfill-Brown sale: Buckland Dix & Webb, Dec 1991)
OBE; DCM, bar 27th September 1901: 3502 Sjt 9th Lancers; QSA, 8 bars & KSA 2 bars: do.; BWM : RM and Maj; IGS 1908-35, bar Afghanistan NWF 1919 with MiD; Defence Medal named Major OBE DSM (!); Cor'11 : Lieut DCM.

The DCM must have been for the Action at Brandfort (25 March 1900) where he was wounded himself and mentioned for conspicuous gallantry in bringing in wounded men.

The bar was awarded for services when he was attached to the 2nd Btn IY as local RSM and was published in Army Order 172 of 1903 (Oct 1903).
All I could trace in this respect was a recommendation by LtCol R W R Barnes (Comdng 2nd IY) : "A most deserving case for recognition of services. He has been of the very greatest use to me as Regtl Sergt Major & I have the highest opinion of his capabilities & reliability. He has been of great use to the 2nd IY".
I do not know how the date on the bar was decided on : is it coincidence that his original DCM was announced in the London Gazette of 27 Sept 1901 (p6305)?

Henk
Attachments:

Newest aquisition--9th Lancers 11 years 1 month ago #8799

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
A dated DCM bar - fabulous!
Dr David Biggins

Newest aquisition--9th Lancers 11 years 1 month ago #8823

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=DavidBig-ABW-PRD-5bff6a2ad-934180e3&siteid=3&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=251241144039&version=889&trackingid=djb023&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.137 seconds