Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

RSM John Mathieson HLI 11 years 2 months ago #7798

• RV
  • RV's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello All, I was absolutely flabberghasted after doing some more research on my maternal Great Grandfather WO1 John Mathieson, to see his miniature medal set on this wonderful site. He died in Canada in the 1930's and I had identified his medals and career but never thought I'd see a picture of his awards. Can anyone tell me whether the actual medals may be available and how I could track them down with a view to bringing them back into the family? If anyone is interested, I have some photographs of his service in Africa which I could post up, if allowed! Very grateful and thanks in anticipation, Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: RSM John Mathieson HLI 11 years 2 months ago #7821

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Iain and welcome to this forum,
This is a Boer War forum, so I would say please do post your photograph, I assume your great grandfather might be 8153 John Mathieson HLI?
Regarding his medals, I always just say to people, put an wanted advert in Medal News and get a helpful member of the British Medal Forum to do similar on line and then just hope.
Regards Frank

Re: RSM John Mathieson HLI 11 years 2 months ago #7834

• RV
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit

Thank you for your reply Frank, your kind welcome and very good advice. I will spend some time looking at the very interesting posts and will dig out some service details of my my Great Grandfather should anyone be interested. Although his records were destroyed by German action in WW2 I have managed to gather some information and photographs of his time in South Africa which may be of interest to visitors and subscribers. Also, thank you again for giving me the chance to see his medals group in colour, something I never believed I would be able to do as my picture is quite indistinct. Regards, Iain
Attachments:

Re: RSM John Mathieson HLI 11 years 2 months ago #7835

• Frank Kelley
Iain,
Really superb photo, a wonderful medal group too, I would want to get hold of those, if I were you, no question about it! :woohoo:
Again welcome, regards Frank

Re: RSM John Mathieson HLI 11 years 2 months ago #7839

• Frank Kelley
Iain,
Assume this is him, have you actually looked in WO363/364?
Regards Frank

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: RV

Re: RSM John Mathieson HLI 11 years 2 months ago #7847

• RV
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello again Frank,
Blimey, where did that come from! Amazing, thanks. It is him, I was going to dig out some more stuff I have as I was fairly sure his number was 1854 from his entries in the London Gazette which I could upload if I have not used up my allocation! Still finding my way round your wonderful site and will look up the reference numbers. Thanks very much, just looked up the reference numbers and I didn't know that some of the Burnt Records had been salvaged. How can I thank you!
Regards, Iain

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.580 seconds