Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Indian Contingent 6 years 3 months ago #56962

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
From the next DNW auction

QSA (Syce Ishar Singh Jodphur I.S. Lcrs)

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Grant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Indian Contingent 6 years 3 months ago #56967

• David Grant
  • David Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 315
A new one for my records ( I do have a Jodhpur I.S Lcrs bronze ) Unfortunately the name may have been read incorrectly since there is no Ishar Singh on the roll. The closest I can get is "Syce Jeorah Sing" entitled to a single "Cape Colony" clasp.

"Elements of the regiment took remount supplies to South Africa during the Boer War and although they saw no action, three clasp and two clasp Queen's South Africa medals are known to the Jodhpur Lancers. Given that the 1st Lancers were in China at this time the recipients must have come from 2nd Lancers" - The Maharajas' Palatans - A History of the Indian State Forces (1888-1948) Head R. & McClenaghan 2013

From Secretary to Secretary of State for India, 2nd January,1900
All the Native States which have Imperial Service Troops have offered Mounted Infantry Horses for South Africa with such liberality that it would be possible to supply as many as 750 in addition to the 2000 which were originally asked for. In most cases the horses are offered free of charge. Great disappointment would be caused to the States if any of their offers were refused. Do Her Majesty's Government consider an increase of number desirable?

From Secretary of State for India to Viceroy, 8th January, 1900
Your foreign telegram, 2nd January. Her Majesty's Government accepts the offer of 750 horses, Native States, with expression of very warm appreciation of spirit which has prompted it.

London Times 20/01/00 (Saturday)
p8a The Fultala, with 280 horses contributed by Indian Princes, left Bombay for Durban yesterday.
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

The Indian Contingent 6 years 3 months ago #57028

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
From the next DNW auction

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA Bronze (908 Nalband Mohamed Bux S. & T. Corps)
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

The Indian Contingent 6 years 3 months ago #57050

• David Grant
Again a new one for my list of medals that have been up for sale

"Syces & Nalbunds Commissariat Rawal Pindi District" previously remarked upon

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...ngent?start=60#14898
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

The Indian Contingent 6 years 2 months ago #57403

• David Grant
Previously on this form Mike brought up the subject of "Bronze QSA Named to Indian but British Unit "
The tread is here:-

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...t-british-unit#42408

With the digitalisation of the Archives of India the answer can be found although for the Royal Artillery.

I mentioned on the tread that I had the silver medal to Ali Marden. A unique medal for the South African War to the 52nd Battery RFA and advantageous for me a unique rank on the QSA roll "Naick Driver"

This is the story of how he arrived in South Africa.
2021 Dvr. Mardan Ali
52nd Bty. R.F.A

Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, 1 clasp, Cape Colony 2021 Dvr. Mardan Ali, 52nd Bty. R.F.A.

Offer of Maharaja Sindhia to Supply 300 Trained Artillery Horses, 700 Trainee Transport Ponies and 200 Carts for Service in South Africa, Also Troops and Personal Service.
Archives of India DEFENCE_A_1900_JUN_1332-1344

“No. 2-B Field Operations, dated Fort William, 1st January 1900
From-The Secretary to the Government of India, MILITARY DEPARTMENT
To-The Adjutant-General in India.

I have the honour to inform you that the Maharaja Sindhia of Gwalior has offered 300 trained artillery horses from his batteries for service in South Africa, and a copy of the telegram in which Her Majesty’s Government signify their acceptance of this loyal offer is forwarded herewith. I am therefore to request that the necessary steps may be taken for the examination and selection of the horses, and for their despatch to South Africa at the earliest possible date, detailed proposals being submitted to the Government of India in the usual manner.”

"ARMY HEAD-QUARTERES.
ADJUTANT-GENERAL’S DEPARTMENT
Dated Fort William, 4th January 1900

Scheme for the despatch of the despatch of 300 artillery horses placed at the disposal of Her Majesty’s Government by His Highness the Maharaja, Sindhia of Gwalior.

1. Her Majesty’s Government have accepted the loyal offer made by His Highness the Maharaja Sindia of Gwalior to place 300 of his artillery horses at their disposal for service in South Africa.
2. The horses will be selected and examined by a Committee as detailed below, which will assemble at Gwalior, as soon as possible, under instructions which will be issued by Army Head-Quarters."

Appendix A
Conducting party for artillery horses under orders to South Africa-
4 Sergeants
4 Corporals or Bombardiers
2 Farrier Sergeants
4 Shoeing Smiths
1 Naick Driver
14 Native Drivers
80 Syces

The above details will be drawn from horse and field batteries serving in the Bengal and Bombay Commands under instructions to be issued by the Lieutenant-Generals Commanding the Forces, Bengal and Bombay, in communication with the Inspector-General of Artillery. The Farrier-Sergeants should be specially selected. The Native drivers and syces should belong, as far as possible, to classes which will mess on board ship.

So there he is, the one Naick Driver on the roll, detailed to transport His Highness's generous donation of trained artillery horses to South Africa.

Of interest is

No.274

From Commander-in-Chief, India, to Quarter-Master-General

(Telegram) Calcutta, 17th January 1900 12.48 p.m.

Following transports sailed for South Africa from Bombay:-
“Umta” 13th January, with 300 horses for Artillery and 19 horses for Mounted Infantry, accompanied by Major Money, Captain Rotton, Lieutenant Stirling, and 16 men, Royal Artillery; 1 hospital assistant, 17 Native soldiers and 89 syce.

Major Money s”erved in the South Africa war 1899-1900 as an Assistant Director of Transport (mention in despatches, Medal with three Clasps and Brevet of Lt.Colonel)” (Hart's Army List 1908)

Of interest is the comment "17 Native soldiers" since there are 16 Native Drivers including Ali Mardan drawn from artillery units including "A" & "H" Battery RHA & 32nd, 52nd, 54th 72nd & 80th RFA.(although I am still trying to understand the RHA which may have been sent out under another scheme)

All received the QSA with one clasp "Cape Colony" and except for Ali Mardan a KSA.
Why no KSA for Ali Mardan? According to the roll he returned to India and is "since deceased"

As a foot note, an article in the “Homeward Mail” of 24th June 1900, mentions the generosity of His Highness the Maharaja
“In the previous year the loyal leader of Gwalior made a timely contribution of 390 horses for service in South Africa”

90 of these horses were donated under the Imperial Service Scheme as previously discussed.

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/search?query=...1/2018&childforums=1
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Brett Hendey, Rory

The Indian Contingent 6 years 2 months ago #57404

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi David
Now I know who had bought Mardan Ali's QSA when I put it up at City Coins in 2010.
I acquired it from an UK Dealer, Fred Walland, in 1996 and it is now well-researched in the trays of an excellent custodian!
Henk

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.468 seconds