Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to Lumsden's Horse. 11 years 5 months ago #5717

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1527
Formu members
I don't recall seeing any recent entries on the forum for Lumsden's H - hence this post might be forgiven: QSA bars CC/OFS/JHB to "100 TPR:A.E.Consterdine, Lumsden's Horse". Obtained on ebay a little while ago and at a reasonable price. Sterling tells us that LH comprised two sqns and a MG det - quite a small unit. The published "History of Lumsdan's Horse" shows that the unit had an all-ranks strength of 261 and the book lists the civilian callings of it's members as well as many individual portraits. Tpr. Consterdine's ocupation is shown as "Inspector of Police" and his portrait illustrates a sharp-looking chap wearing an unusual and very practical form of slouch hat - apparently peculiar to LH. Tpr. Consterdine served in No.4 section of A Coy.
The unit history records all the trekking of LH and mentions that - during the rounding-up of some cattle towards the end of LH's tour of duty - a small patrol of LH ran into a Boer sniping party "and Tpr. Consterdine fetched one of them out of the saddle at 1,800 yards". It seems that the would-be snipers were used to taking liberties with rooineks using carbines and a good shot with a Lee-Metford rifle indicated future caution.
LH served in SA from 4/00-11/00, did some hard trekking, gave rather better than they got and caused Lord Roberts to record "It has been a pride and a pleasure to me to have under my command a volunteer contingent which has so well upheld the honour of the Indian Empire".

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, azyeoman, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Lumsden's Horse. 11 years 5 months ago #5719

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Linneyl

That is a very good QSA to an interesting and well documented unit. Having a photograph of the man concerned and an indication of his shooting prowess is a real bonus. Thank you for sharing your find.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI

Medals to Lumsden's Horse. 11 years 5 months ago #5721

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Linneyl
A very nice aquisition and an excellent write about the man.
As Brett says having a photograph is always a great addition to the medal.
Thanks for sharing.

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI

Medals to Lumsden's Horse. 11 years 5 months ago #5724

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Ian,
You very seldom see QSA's to Lumsden's Horse on the market and as Brett and Paul have pointed out, it is certainly rare with the victorian period to actually put a face to the medal in question.
All I can say about his marksmanship is that I think a element of good fortune touches anyone who can knock down a Boer with a Lee Metford at 1,800 yards using iron sights! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
In those days I think it was rather more dependent on the users skill, than today, perhaps too, the fog of war and how the gods felt on that particular day! :evil:
All thing considered, a really nice QSA,
Regards Frank

Medals to Lumsden's Horse. 11 years 5 months ago #5728

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1527
Frank
Indeed, it was someone's unlucky day when they chose to be a member of a sniping party and faced Trooper Consterdine! Of course, we do not know how many rounds our Trooper fired to achieve the recorded result. But, there it was. I must say that the long range counter-snipe made me try a little harder in the bidding. Oddly enough, some years ago I came across a nice group including a QSA to Lumsden's; 1902 Coro, Afghan bar Ahmed Khel, QSA and Vol. LSGC. To Gunner and later Sgt. Dale who was Mid'd for SA. I had not seen a LH QSA since.
Thanks for the comments.
IL.

Medals to Lumsden's Horse. 11 years 5 months ago #5729

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning Linney.....

If you are keeping track of the medals to Lumsden's Horse, here is one more. Picked this one up at the Easter Gun Show here in Calgary in 2010.
Note the Regimental number, it is only 2 off yours. I do not have a copy of the regimental history, can you see if there is any mention of him there.

Thanks

Mike

MERCER, F. G.

REG. NO.: 102
REGT: LUMSDEN’S HORSE
BARS: CAPE COLONY, ORANGE FREE STATE, TRANSVAAL

REMARKS / HISTORY:

1. Trooper Frederick Charles Warren Mercer served in ‘A’ Company, No.4 Section, Lumsden’s Horse. He is mentioned in a letter by Captain B. W. Holmes as being involved in an action with a maxim gun against the Boers, during which he held the horses whilst under heavy fire.
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.377 seconds