Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 4 years 4 months ago #66646

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873

Milne wrote: Hello,
this medal belonged to my great grandfather, Walter John Crouch. I have attached some family photographs of him. Should you ever wish to part with it please could you give me the opportunity to have it returned to my family. Regards Lesley Milne

Hi Lesley. have made a note in my catalogue...…

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 4 years 3 months ago #67267

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (2) Natal, Transvaal (783 Tpr: J. Leddra. Natal Carbnrs:);
RNR LS&GC GV (C. 2912. J. Leddra, Sea. R.N.R.)

John Leddra was born in 1875 in St. Ives, Cornwall. He served with the Natal Carbineers during the Boer War and received the Queen’s South Africa Medal with Natal and Transvaal clasps. He then transferred to the 1st Natal Volunteer Composite Regiment on 1 October 1900, with which unit he additionally qualified for the South Africa 1901 clasp.

Returning to St. Ives after the war Leddra joined the Royal Naval Reserve in late 1902 and completed his first period of seagoing training aboard H.M.S. Revenge between 2 January 1903 and 31 March 1903, followed by annual training including a brief assignment in H.M.S. Prince George in early 1912. His regular employment working for the Town Council in St. Ives came to an end when he was called up on 1 August 1914, just prior to the outbreak of the Great War. He immediately joined the ship’s company of H.M.S. Albion, aboard which battleship he remained until 28 May 1916. During this period Albion served in the Channel Fleet and was sent to support the operations against German West Africa. Sailing to the Mediterranean in January 1915, she participated in the Dardanelles Campaign, including major attacks on the Ottoman coastal fortifications. He finally joined the Q-ship H.M.S. Penshurst (a.k.a. Q.7) on 28 July 1916, serving in her up until he left the vessel, injured, shortly before her demise at the hands of U-111 in December 1917.

During his time aboard Penshurst, this legendary Q-Ship had accounted for two enemy submarines and seriously damaged three others. He was present at actions with enemy U-boats on ten occasions over a 13 month period. Having been medically discharged ashore to H.M.S. Vivid from Penshurst in November 1917, Leddra served briefly in H.M.S. Macedonia during 1918 and was demobilised on 18 January 1919. He was presented with his Naval L.S. & G.C. Medal on 6 November 1919. He was unfortunate to receive no decoration. Had he avoided injury and remained aboard the Penshurst for her final month afloat he would have certainly received the D.S.M. along with all other original crew members; nonetheless, he was later awarded £12 10s, his share of Penshurst’s prize money. He died in Cornwall in 1963.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 4 years 3 months ago #67286

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
A great shame, that would have been a most pleasing group.

djb wrote:

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (2) Natal, Transvaal (783 Tpr: J. Leddra. Natal Carbnrs:);
RNR LS&GC GV (C. 2912. J. Leddra, Sea. R.N.R.)

John Leddra was born in 1875 in St. Ives, Cornwall. He served with the Natal Carbineers during the Boer War and received the Queen’s South Africa Medal with Natal and Transvaal clasps. He then transferred to the 1st Natal Volunteer Composite Regiment on 1 October 1900, with which unit he additionally qualified for the South Africa 1901 clasp.

Returning to St. Ives after the war Leddra joined the Royal Naval Reserve in late 1902 and completed his first period of seagoing training aboard H.M.S. Revenge between 2 January 1903 and 31 March 1903, followed by annual training including a brief assignment in H.M.S. Prince George in early 1912. His regular employment working for the Town Council in St. Ives came to an end when he was called up on 1 August 1914, just prior to the outbreak of the Great War. He immediately joined the ship’s company of H.M.S. Albion, aboard which battleship he remained until 28 May 1916. During this period Albion served in the Channel Fleet and was sent to support the operations against German West Africa. Sailing to the Mediterranean in January 1915, she participated in the Dardanelles Campaign, including major attacks on the Ottoman coastal fortifications. He finally joined the Q-ship H.M.S. Penshurst (a.k.a. Q.7) on 28 July 1916, serving in her up until he left the vessel, injured, shortly before her demise at the hands of U-111 in December 1917.

During his time aboard Penshurst, this legendary Q-Ship had accounted for two enemy submarines and seriously damaged three others. He was present at actions with enemy U-boats on ten occasions over a 13 month period. Having been medically discharged ashore to H.M.S. Vivid from Penshurst in November 1917, Leddra served briefly in H.M.S. Macedonia during 1918 and was demobilised on 18 January 1919. He was presented with his Naval L.S. & G.C. Medal on 6 November 1919. He was unfortunate to receive no decoration. Had he avoided injury and remained aboard the Penshurst for her final month afloat he would have certainly received the D.S.M. along with all other original crew members; nonetheless, he was later awarded £12 10s, his share of Penshurst’s prize money. He died in Cornwall in 1963.

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 3 years 11 months ago #68760

• QSAMIKE

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=DavidBig-ABW-PRD-5bff6a2ad-934180e3&siteid=3&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=283851321399&version=889&trackingid=djb023&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 3 years 11 months ago #68762

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
A terrific group with ephemera - enough to make the heart of any Natal collector beat faster!! The wife has got the paddles out - firstly to bring me round when I saw who the recipient was, and secondly to bring me back to life after I had seen the asking price...!

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 3 years 11 months ago #68764

• QSAMIKE
Rory ….. First person I thought of when I saw it and thought what a research project it would be.... Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.671 seconds