Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 10 years 7 months ago #13937

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Hello Brett,

I have just noticed this thread and would also like to add my congratulations.

Well done on acquiring this superb group and also on reaching 1000 posts B) .

I look very forward to seeing the medals when we meet up again.

Cheers
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 10 years 7 months ago #13940

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Brett,

Congratulations on your 1000 posts.
I always learn from your contributions which has made me a little more knowledgeable :ohmy:
I am sure members will agree we could not have a more amiable gentleman on our forum.
Well done on your latest aquisition Brett I am sure it will go to the top of your "favourites" list, a truly superb group.

Here is to your next 1000
Cheers
Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 10 years 7 months ago #13957

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
Adrian & Paul

Thank you for adding your kind comments.

Regards
Brett

PS A fact hitherto unknown to the historians of Natal is that Frank Allerston and I were almost neighbours in Pietermaritzburg in the late 1940's. He lived at 263 West Street, whereas I lived at No. 190. Our paths may have crossed. Even though he was in his 70's and I had yet to reach double figures, I could have asked about his Boer War experiences. For example, he might have revealed how the Newcastle Troop came to get involved in the Battle of Elandslaagte. Youth really is wasted on the young.

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 10 years 7 months ago #13960

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49
Brett

These Newcastle chaps have a knack of being in and escaping from some of the most famous Victorian battles...If I am not mistaken a bunch of them escaped from the disaster at Isandlawana?

I only knew one Boer War veteran, a Mafeking chap lived in a house next to ours when I was VERY young. He often used to shoot at hawks with his shotgun who were after his free range chickens. A great shame he died of face cancer. Would have loved to have queried him about the part he took in the siege (ummm and maybe have acquired his medal) Trying to remember his name but it appears I too am heading into the "that part" of life when the memory is not what it once was. :(

Brian

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 10 years 7 months ago #13962

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
If only eh, Brett?
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 10 years 7 months ago #13970

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
You are right about Newcastle, Brian - the Newcastle Mounted Rifles at Isandlwana Also, Dundee - the Buffalo Border Guard, which included a brother of paternal great-grandmother, who went on to lead a long, but drink-impaired life. To give them credit, both the NMR and BBG had men killed at Isandlwana, while others survived by being with Major Dartnell of the Natal Mounted Police on his abortive mission to find the Zulu army.

The NMR and BBG both became extinct after the Zulu War and, instead, No. 7 Squadron (Dundee-Newcastle) of the Natal Carbineers replaced them.

Buying medals to men on the Dartnell Patrol is a relatively cheap way of getting "nearly killed/escaped at Isandlwana" medals. Otherwise, it means paying a fortune for medals to those who actually were killed, or escaped. Guess what kind I have collected?

Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.461 seconds