Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Queensland Mounted Infantry Contingents 2 years 8 months ago #77836

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Australia furnished three Mounted Infantry Contingents for the conflict.

Captain Sir Edward A. Stewart-Richardson served in the 2nd QMI and was killed in 1914.

Pictures courtesy of DNW

QSA (5) Cape Colony, Driefontein, Transvaal, Wittebergen, South Africa 1901, the date clasp a tailor’s copy (Capt: Sir E. A. S. Richardson. Q’land M.I.);
1914 Star, with clasp (Capt Sir E. A. Stewart-Richardson. Bt: R. Highrs.);
BWM and VM (Capt. Sir E. A. Stewart-Richardson. Bt.)

Eldest son of Sir James Stewart-Richardson, 14th Bart., of Pentcaitland, Pitfour Castle, Perth, was born at Edinburgh on 24 July 1872 and was educated at Rugby School and Trinity College, Glenalmond, Perthshire. In September 1890 he joined the 3rd Battalion, Royal Highlanders, being promoted Lieutenant in March 1892, and Captain in February 1900. From 1899 to 1902 he was ADC to Lord Lamington, the Governor of Queensland. In the South African War he served with the 2nd Battalion, Black Watch and with the Queensland Mounted Infantry, taking part in the operations in the Orange River Free State, including the action at Vet River, and in the Orange River Colony, including the actions at Rhenoster River, Wittebergen, and Wittepoort, for which he received the Queen’s Medal with five clasps.

On volunteering for service in the Great War, he was attached to the 1st Battalion of his old regiment, the Black Watch, arriving with them in France on 22 September 1914, and died in London on 28 November the same year, of wounds received at Gheluvelt on 27 October during the First Battle of Ypres.

He had married Lady Constance Mackenzie, younger daughter of Francis, 2nd Earl of Cromartie, in 1904, and left two sons. (The Bond of Sacrifice by Col. L. A. Clutterbuck refers).
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Queensland Mounted Infantry Contingents 2 years 8 months ago #77851

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Interested Forum members
Good to see an officer who served with the QMI.
Here is a group named to a Trooper with the 1st Queensland Mounted Rifles -
QSA (f) reverse, clasps Relief of Kimberley, Paardeburg and Driefontein, impressed to "60 Tpr. D.R.Morrison, QNSLND M.R."
KSA usual two date clasps, impressed to "Agent D.R.Morrison, F.I.D."
14/15 trio impressed to "Pte. D.R.Morrison, M.G. Detacht"

Donald Rogers Morrison, enlisted 19/10/1899 at age 41 yrs, a Miner from Mt. Morgan, Queensland and served with B Coy., 1st Q.M.R. Operations in SA from 1/1/1900 were at Sunnyside, Relief of Kimberley, Paardeburg, Poplar Grove, Driefontein and Bloemfontein. Returned to Brisbane 23/1/01 "in good bodily health" and returned to SA to take up duty with Transvaal Mounted and Foot police. Obviously a bit of a rolling stone, his subsequent service included stints with Midland MR, Orange River Colony foot police, E Division, SAC and the Field Intelligence Department. For some unknown reason, Donald Robert Morrison changed his name to "T.R.Lavers" at one point; if that was intended as a way of covering his tracks, it did not work as the change is noted on medal rolls.
Donald Rogers Morrison did not return to Australia, his address was given as 12 Prince St., Cape Town. His service during the Great War was between 27/11/14 and 23/6/1915 during the GSWA campaign - with the Machine Gun Detachment using the new Rexer machine gun. Assuming he gave his correct age upon enlistment back in 1899, he would have been pushing fifty six summers in the middle of 1915. Too old for field work and he probably knew it.
Regards to all
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, jim51, Moranthorse1

Medals to the Queensland Mounted Infantry Contingents 2 years 8 months ago #77868

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Hi Ian,

What an outstanding group. I take it that you have had the medals for some time as I don't recall having seen them on the market.
1st Qld. Contingent are sought after, I am still trying to pick one up with the 'battle' clasps after many many years.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Jim

Medals to the Queensland Mounted Infantry Contingents 2 years 8 months ago #77879

• LinneyI
Jim
Yes, they have been in my custody for quite a while. There must be other 1st QMIs around so don't give up hope.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Medals to the Queensland Mounted Infantry Contingents 2 years 8 months ago #77881

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Hi Ian,
I take it that you have his photo from the ‘Queenslander’ newspaper?
I have a copy of his pay sheet for his time in the QMI if you don’t have it.
Cheers,
Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI

Medals to the Queensland Mounted Infantry Contingents 2 years 8 months ago #77883

• LinneyI
Jim
I have searched for Morrison's pic and any other info. - but Trove does not have "The Queenslander" from what I can see. I would be grateful if you could share at least his pic with us.
Regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.218 seconds