Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

COLONEL WILLIAM NAPIER CMG (1861-1920): Soldier of Fortune & Rhodesian Pioneer 3 years 7 months ago #71192

• Colonel.By
  • Colonel.By's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
This group of medals has been off the market for 35 years and its existence may be unknown to many younger collectors. I am therefore posting it here. William Napier was one of that rare breed of men known as "Soldiers of Fortune" who travelled to the remotest parts of the Empire whenever the call was made and who often remained there and played instrumental roles in the development of their chosen communities.

Provenance: Christie’s (London), July 16, 1985 Auction, Lot 53 (not illustrated), Realized £972 including 8% (yes, 8%!) buyer’s premium.

A superbly detailed biography of Col. Napier, to which I cannot add anything, is available at "The Rhodesian Soldier" online website below.

www.rhodesiansoldier.com/col.-w.-napier-cmg.html

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

COLONEL WILLIAM NAPIER CMG (1861-1920): Soldier of Fortune & Rhodesian Pioneer 3 years 7 months ago #71194

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Colonel.By,

That's an excellent group of medals. Many thanks for posting the pictures and links.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colonel.By

COLONEL WILLIAM NAPIER CMG (1861-1920): Soldier of Fortune & Rhodesian Pioneer 3 years 7 months ago #71195

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
A magnificent group it has to be said. The only thing I can add is this extract from the Muster Books of the Natal Carbineers:

"NAPIER W., On strength 26/11/1880. Struck off roll in 1887 – attended no camps since 1886. Left Colony."

I am smitten by the patina on that BSAC!

Regards

Rory

COLONEL WILLIAM NAPIER CMG (1861-1920): Soldier of Fortune & Rhodesian Pioneer 3 years 7 months ago #71201

• Colonel.By
  • Colonel.By's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4

Rory wrote: A magnificent group it has to be said. The only thing I can add is this extract from the Muster Books of the Natal Carbineers: "NAPIER W., On strength 26/11/1880. Struck off roll in 1887 – attended no camps since 1886. Left Colony." I am smitten by the patina on that BSAC!. Regards. Rory

Many thanks for the additional data regarding the Natal Carbineers. Prompted by your patina comment, I have posted improved photos in order to do proper justice to the group. I always prefer to see a nice original patina on century-old medals, although that may be the numismatist inside me talking!

COLONEL WILLIAM NAPIER CMG (1861-1920): Soldier of Fortune & Rhodesian Pioneer 3 years 7 months ago #71202

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Great Group, a, glad that it has survived..... A very good read of his history..... Includes one of the most beautiful medals/orders ever made in my humble opinion..... Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

COLONEL WILLIAM NAPIER CMG (1861-1920): Soldier of Fortune & Rhodesian Pioneer 2 years 5 months ago #79355

• jasonakabones
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
hi does any one know if william napier is the father of stanley napier as i have medels from boar war left by my grandmother

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.055 seconds