Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Doctor William Trewhella St. Stephens, Ship's Surgeon, Cunard Line 5 years 10 months ago #59047

• CtahhR
  • CtahhR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 10
The directory, which pre-dates the phone book, lists his address as "Mon Repos" New Marine Drive, Paignton, so he seems to have been well settled in Devon some 30 miles away from St. Stephens in Cornwall where his family originated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Doctor William Trewhella St. Stephens, Ship's Surgeon, Cunard Line 5 years 10 months ago #59120

• CtahhR
Dr. St. Stephens must have had a rather deep connection to the sea, as he died on the seafront at Preston, Paignton on 13th November 1924. He left his widow the grand sum of £845/15/5.

Attachments:

Doctor William Trewhella St. Stephens, Ship's Surgeon, Cunard Line 5 years 10 months ago #59121

• CtahhR
His wife Mary Ellen Reid (24th June 1873 - 1956) also travelled a fair bit on the Cunard Line between 1905 and 1927. Coincidentally there was a Mary Reid on Dr. St. Stephens' last working trip to Boston, but not his future wife, a Mrs. Mary Reid, who even more coincidentally, was the same age as his future wife.

I can find no records of Dr. and Mrs. St. Stephens travelling on the same voyage, though both of them always travelled in Saloon.

After Dr. St. Stephen's death, his widow married Lieutenant-Colonel William Alexander MacDonald Bruce on 19th January 1935 and was widowed again on 10th March 1939. Unfortunately I can't find anything on her after that, she may have married a third time.

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.670 seconds