Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 2 years 4 months ago #79981

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 754
Azyeoman,
I had considered the KSA to Dunbar Haire as it had been on the market for some time. Would be nice if you could pick up his QSA to the Natal Police.
I would recommend that you pick up a copy of Bill Woolmore's book "Steinaeckers Horsemen".
I believe the book is still available at a very reasonable price of around 30 quid (unlike BWs volume of the Bushveldt Carbineers which fetches at least 90 pounds!) . It is a highly enjoyable and informative read.
Each man who served with SH is detailed in the relevant Nominal Roll section.
You will be delighted to know that Haire was one of Sir Redvers Bullers personal bodyguard as described in Bill's book.
Enjoy! A nice medal.
Cheers,
Steve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 2 years 4 months ago #79985

• azyeoman
  • Thank you received: 296
Hi Steve,
Thank you SO very much for the info. I’m very pleased to know he was one of Buller’s
Personal bodyguards! Perhaps there is a photo of Buller with them. I’m currently looking for a copy of Woolmore’s book and will try all the harder now. Thank you again and all the very best! John

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 2 years 4 months ago #79986

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 754
You are most welcome John.
I quote from BWs biographical notes on Haire from his book :
"HAIRE Dunbar. Trooper No. 1361: Born Tangnee, Co. Armagh, Ireland on 17th June 1872.
He joined the Natal Mounted Police as Trooper No. 2225 on 28th October 1898, was mobilised for war service on 11th October 1899 and discharged on 22nd April 1901. During much of this time he was a member of General Sir Redvers Buller's bodyguard. Enlisted in SH at Pietermaritzburg on 25th April 1901-age 28, no occupation given, height 5'9", grey eyes, black hair. NOK: father, T. Haire, Tangnee, County Armagh, Ireland. After service in Swaziland he was discharged medically unfit at PMB on 24th June 1902, after cessation of hostilities. Qualified for the QSA medal with clasps Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith & Transvaal and his KSA with the two date clasps issued ftom the SH roll. "

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 2 years 4 months ago #79987

• azyeoman
Hi Steve, you’ve really made my day; it’s an early Christmas! Thank you very much. I have ordered a copy of the book and it’s coming from Australia so should be in the states in a couple of weeks. Thank you again for all your help and the very best to you. (Now to find his QSA. Odds are against it, but in 40+ years of collecting, I’ve managed to reunite a dozen medal groups, so hope springs eternal.) :)

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 2 years 4 months ago #79989

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
Hi John,

You got a good deal purchasing the Steinaecker's Horsemen book from Australia. Even though I already have this book, I had previously saved the link just for the fact that it is nearly half price to what I have seen some copies of this book sell for. I went searching for the book to give you the heads-up and when I saw that the book had sold in the last 12 hours I was hoping that you were the lucky buyer.
Enjoy the good read.
Trev

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 2 years 4 months ago #79990

• azyeoman
Hi Trev,
Thanks for being on the lookout; I appreciate it. I nabbed one at what I thought was a decent price for an out of print book. I’m astonished at some of the prices that booksellers are asking. Perhaps it there was a low number of books printed. I have the impression that books in Australia are considerably more expensive, not too mention shipping. All the very best! John

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.588 seconds