• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500

Picture courtesy of Noble Numismatics

[BSACM (1) Mashonaland 1897]
[QSA (2) RoL Tr]
KSA (2) (Capt. J.A.Lawson. Steinaecker's H.) Officially engraved

Information from the book titled Steinaecker's Horsemen by William (Bill) Woolmore, pp232-3:

'Lawson, John Augustus, Scout/Sergeant/Lieutenant/Captain (AO281 13:2:01): He served in the British South Africa Police during the 1896 campaign in Rhodesia against the Matabele and the Mashona and again during the 1897 campaign in Mashonaland. He earned the British South Africa Company's Medal with reverse for Rhodesia and the bar 'Mashonaland 1897'.

Previous Anglo-Boer War service as Trooper n/n with E Squadron, Colonial Scouts from 5 December 1899 to 19 March 1900 and also had service as a Scout with the Field Intelligence Department. He was one of the original six scouts who accompanied Steinaecker on the Komati Poort expedition (22 March 1900 to 17 July 1900) to blow up the railway bridge there. Steinaecker sent him on ahead to Palata, the plantation of John A.Major on the Lebombo Range in eastern Swaziland. He arrived at John Major's house in time to help him fight off a Swazi impi which was engaged in the 'smelling out' and 'killing off' resulting from the death of the Swazi King, Bhunu. Lawson shot dead one of the Swazi warriors just as he was attempting to stab his assegai into John Major. Joined SH (Steinaecker's Horse) on 16 September 1900. Promoted to Captain on 8 August 1901 (AO428 7:10:01). He resigned his commission when the regiment was disbanded on 7 February 1903. Qualified for the QSA medal with clasps Relief of Ladysmith & Transvaal and his KSA with the two date clasps (illustrated at Fig 85, p233 of above book) was issued from the SH roll.

Lawson died in 1939.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 4 years 2 days ago #68440

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

QSA (3) Transvaal, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902, with unofficial MID emblem (1288 Tpr: F.Hennessy. Steinaecker's Horse.)

1288 Trooper Frank Hennessy confirmed on Steinaecker's Horse nominal roll.

Information from the book titled Steinaecker's Horsemen by William (Bill) Woolmore, p209, 'Hennesy Frank, Trooper No.1288: Born Liverpool, England on 2 February 1870. He had 3 years service in the US Navy and 2 1/2 years service in the US Army. Enlisted in SH (Steinaecker's Horse) at Durban on 26 February 1901 - age 31, seaman, height 5'7'', blue eyes, fair hair, tattoo on right forearm and 'X' on left arm, address: 28 Duke Street, Southampton (same as Trooper Hanrahan). NOK: mother, Mrs M.Hennessy, Liverpool, England. Slightly wounded (accidentally) at Nomahasha on 30 June 1901. Together with Trooper D.E.Wilson he was Mentioned in Lord Kitchener's despatches for rescuing a comrade (Trooper No.1110, Trooper G.Gaines) who was taken by a crocodile while bathing in the Usutu River at Usutu Poort in Swaziland on 30 November 1901. Trooper Gaines was dead when recovered. The citation read '...for most plucky rescue of the body of a comrade which had been carried off by a crocodile.' Discharged time expired at PMB (Pietermaritzburg) on 20 September 1902 after the cessation of hostilities. Qualified for the QSA medal with clasps Transvaal, SA 1901 & SA 1902.' (this medal illustrated at Fig 82, p209 of above book)
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 3 years 11 months ago #68486

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

QSA (2) Transvaal, South Africa 1901 (1261 Tpr: C.J.Connell. Steinaecker's Horse.) Impressed.

Information from the book titled Steinaecker's Horsemen by William (Bill) Woolmore, p168, 'Connell Charles John, Trooper No.1261: Australian. Born Kings County, Ireland on 15 January 1871. Served pre-war in the South Australian Mounted Police. Served previously for 4 months as a guard in the Natal Government Railways Bridge Guards then had 7 months service in the Army Service Corps. Enlisted in Steinaecker's Horse at Durban on 28 January 1901 - age 29, clerk, height 5'9", blue eyes, dark brown hair, scar on left elbow. NOK: father, Captain G.Connell, Military Staff Officer, Adelaide, South Australia. Discharged medically unfit at PMB (Pietermaritzburg) on 3 October 1901. Qualified for the QSA medal with clasps Transvaal & SA 1901.'

When George Connell died in Sep1920 it was reported that his son Charles Connell had previously died in South Africa. It also stated that Charles had three brothers and three sisters. They were Lieut G.V.Connell, Military Reserve; Capt H.A.Connell, Aust Army Pay Corps; W.J.Connell, ex Sgt in AIF; Sister Mary Winifred and Sister Mary Mercy of Convent of Mercy; and Miss Annie Connell.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 3 years 10 months ago #69063

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
I have taken more of an interest in Steinaecker’s Horse since purchasing a medal to the unit in the last Noble’s Auction.

The post regarding Cashman jogged my memory and I have searched thru my ‘ nominal roll’ of medal recipients and found the following in relation to the post.

John Joseph McGree, n/n Special Sqn Stein Hse.
‘Taken prisoner near Haenertsburg,16 Apr 1902.

I have his QSA, clasps, OFS,Trans. Missing, C.C., 01,02.
He had previous service with several units, Stein Hse being the last. I will have to check my research differs from B Wollmore’s.
I have - Imp Lt Inf., Kitch F Scts., Imp Lt Hse., Stein Hse.
Bill has -Imp Lt Inf., Imp lt Hse., 4th RPR., Kitch F Scots., Stein Hse.
I have done some research, the reason he doesn’t have the 01,02 clasps is because he is entitled to a KSA to Steinaecker’s Horse. Now to track it down.

Regardless this fellow definitely enjoyed soldiering!

Keep safe team.

Jim

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 3 years 10 months ago #69064

• Rory
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2121
A bit of geography - Haenertsberg is a lovely and very picturesque little village between Pietersberg and Tzaneen in the eastern Ttransvaal. Situated not far from the Magoebaskloof in the Land of the Silver Mist as it is termed, it would have been a lovely spot to have a skirmish!

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 3 years 10 months ago #69065

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Good one Rory. Except if you are amongst the skirmished!

Jim

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.712 seconds