• Page:

TOPIC:

Determing whether a DCM boer War was awarded 7 years 6 months ago #49024

• researcherman
  • researcherman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have conflicting information. The Deed was certainly gazetted as a mentioned in despatches. I have Australian's Murray noting a DCM and the Australian War Memorial (the same-probably a reproduction of Murray) and notes in Newspapers incorrectly noting a DSO (could forgive them as a DSO may be misconstrued as a DCM half a world away). The soldier also stayed on for two consecutive tours and did not return immediately. What devices are open to me to officially determine whether the DCM was awarded or not, as his action was certainly worthy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Determing whether a DCM boer War was awarded 7 years 6 months ago #49026

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1540
All DCMs were notified in the London Gazette. Often, such LG entries do not show a man's regimental number; this would be shown in the "mention". A detailed "mention" would not necessarily result in the award of a Distinguished Conduct Medal. To take your enquiry further, perhaps you might tell us the name of the soldier you are researching. Thre exists an excellent work on Recipients of the DCM and those awarded for South Africa (2096) are listed alphabetically and sometimes with extra information.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: researcherman

Determing whether a DCM boer War was awarded 7 years 6 months ago #49029

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Researchman........

Take a look at this page in the forum........

www.angloboerwar.com/medals-and-awards/british/241-dcm

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Determing whether a DCM boer War was awarded 7 years 6 months ago #49044

• researcherman
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you Mike, but part of the problem is looking at sources derived from somewhere else.
I have conflicting entries.
I would love to find a Gazette entry that said no....as the yes answer is difficult to locate.
Still trying though. Tks again.

Determing whether a DCM boer War was awarded 7 years 6 months ago #49045

• researcherman
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Ok. so the soldier in question is Archie Stocker. Tasmanian 3rd (Tas 1st Imperial) Bushman. Service No. 102
May 1900 to around July 1901 was this tour of duty..
Event in question was in late April 1901.
London Gazette has a "mentioned in despatches", July 1901, page 4567
However, I have a few notations that he was awarded a DCM.
The event was worthy, The notations are in Murray, and the Australian War Memorial Notes, but no reference to a Gazette ID.
Would love to prove it.
Have seen mentions that some DCM's were not given citations. Getting confusing.
Hence looking for a definitive source.
He also stayed on and did not return with his original unit, but joined the next one shipped out, so he loses Contingent history continuity.
Circumstances surrounding the "event" and associated events years later still elude to him being awarded.

Determing whether a DCM boer War was awarded 7 years 6 months ago #49088

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1540
Researcherman
The action in which Sgt. Archie Stocker was MiD'd is mentioned in Chamberlain and Droogleever's "The War with Johnny Boer" (ISBN 1-876439-02-5) pages 419-421. The overview of the aforementioned action has it that Lt. H.A.Reid (4SAIB) was awarded the DSO and Sgt. Stocker the DCM. The former (Lt. Reid) indeed was awarded the DSO and his citation may be found in the book "DSO 1886-1915). However, no Sgt. Stocker on the list shown in the DCM book.
Let's face it, there always can be inequality/unfairness in the awarding of decorations. In the case of the action at Commissie Drift, Eastern Transvaal on 25/4/1901, it appears that Sgt. Stocker may have been recommended for a DCM; however, those charged with allocating honours felt that a DSO to the junior officer leading the small attack force was the way to go.
My supposition (for, lacking any further info, that is what it is) does not in any way denigrate the actions of Sgt. Archie Stocker. Might I say that, if I were you, I would be very pleased to be the temporary custodian of Sgt. Stocker's QSA.
Sorry I could not be more positive.
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.437 seconds