• Page:

TOPIC:

Determing whether a DCM boer War was awarded 7 years 6 months ago #49089

• researcherman
  • researcherman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for your help. You understand the conundrum well. I have access to Stockers, QSA, KSA, 2 pairs of binoculars (he was a Lt. twice), have found photos of him, in addition to his engraved rifle from 1901/02.
My project is all about Reid's raid as I have called it. I am progressing toward a small documentary film on the subject as I have considerable detail including primary evidence, captured weapons and lots more. In it I can not only name each man in the patrol but now have photos of all of them.
The reason for hunting up Stocker especially is that beginning this week I have a 2 week speaking tour of Southern New Zealand to bring Stockers story back home to his Country, and as you said the detail I have will not diminish his gallant efforts but rather its to not shoot my mouth off if in fact he did not get "that" DCM. I have seen quite enough incorrect reports over time to be a cautious in such endeavours, without detracting from the story. Thanks again
Regards

Wayne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Determing whether a DCM boer War was awarded 7 years 6 months ago #49090

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1540
Wayne
Your project to fully document "Reid's Raid" is a praiseworthy and noteworthy endeavour. I for one would be obliged if you would keep us informed as to your progress. I did not realise that Sgt Archie Stocker of the TIB was a KIWI - this is not really unusual as I have encountered it several times before. In OZ units or their own, always darn good soldiers!
The host of small (and not so small) actions carried out by the British during the guerrilla phase of the war are seldom studied in detail. This is very unfortunate (and one sided); as these raids "peeled the apple" ever closer and closer to its core. I might recommend Chris Ash's "Kruger, Kommandos and Kak" to you (ISBN 978 - 1 - 920143 - 99 - 2) to provide a rather different take on the conflict.
Without over egging a pudding, might I finish by saying that, (up to the Great War) a soldier who distinguished himself in a theatre of war could only be awarded a Victoria Cross, a Distinguished Conduct Medal or a Mention in Despatches. An MiD was and is nothing to be lightly disregarded at any time. In the field, his C.O. would know of it, his mates certainly would slap him on the back and later I think he would have proudly shown the Gazette to his family!
Good luck with your project.
Best regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: researcherman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.578 seconds