Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 4 years 4 months ago #67138

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
The QSA to the Pietersburg TG sold this afternoon for R6,201 or £320. That was more than I was expecting.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 4 years 4 months ago #67160

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
That is very interesting because I felt that would have to be a bargain, based upon the prices now being both sought and often paid at retail from the many provincial dealers here, which, I suppose, can be compared with, if it were sold without any commission for the buyer to pay.

A hundred and fifty odd quid for a member of the Grahamstown Guard or double for a member of the Pietersburg, quite frankly, I certainly know which I would rather have!

djb wrote: The QSA to the Pietersburg TG sold this afternoon for R6,201 or £320. That was more than I was expecting.

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 4 years 4 months ago #67207

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
4 of the 9 TG QSAs at DNW this week did not sell. This may be because some of the estimates were, in my opinion, a little high and inconsistent.

Lot 1008 to Barkly West was described as 'scarce' and given an estimate of £180-220. The description says there were 85 medals to this unit. I believe the net to be 65. This medal did not sell. Lot 1014 to Richmond TG was also unsold. It was not described as scarce despite the description declaring fewer medals to the unit than to Barkly West, 75. I think the net is 56. The estimate here was £140-180. Lot 1016 was to Swellendam TG. 55 medals according to the catalogue. Net of 49 according to my reckoning. The rarest of these three examples. Sold for £95 against an estimate of £80 to £120.

Picture courtesy of DNW
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 4 years 4 months ago #67215

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2149
The Ladysmith TG medal didn't sell either if I'm not mistaken. I was following the auction live and there was no interest in at. I couldn't find a chap with the recipients initials on the 1899 or 1903 Burgers Rolls for Ladysmith and wondered if that was possibly the problem?

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 4 years 4 months ago #67244

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Rory,

You are correct. The Ladysmith TG QSA was also unsold. That's 5 out of the 9.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 4 years 4 months ago #67245

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

You may think these figures came from this year's sales of TG QSA but no. This is an extract from a Liverpool Medals list from January 1984 (nineteen eighty four)
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.802 seconds