Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 4 years 8 months ago #65032

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Thanks David, an interesting and well written piece.

I will be looking out for that KSA to the Bushmanland Borderers if it appears on the market.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 4 years 8 months ago #65039

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
An interactive plot of hammer prices for DMT QSAs sold by Spink yesterday against the number of medals issued (according to Spink).

You can hover over the data points to see the unit name.

DMT interactive plot
Dr David Biggins

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 4 years 8 months ago #65043

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It is certainly interesting to note that the particular number of recipients in a particular Troop is not always reflected in the price paid.

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 4 years 8 months ago #65067

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Here is another view of the Town Guard data. For this plot, the numbers of QSAs issued to a particular unit has been grouped into buckets of 20s and then 100s. QSAs with clasps has been coloured differently as they normally (with the exception of the Dundee TG last week) influence price. The average hammer price for each group has been added.

The mouseover includes the recipient, unit name and number issued.

Overall the plot shows that the number issued is a factor but probably more important are clasps and medals to officers - based on this sample of data anyway.

I will add in the DNW data and see what that shows.

TG grouped interactive plot
Dr David Biggins

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 4 years 8 months ago #65068

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
The stand out for me from this latest plot is the Kimberley TG - 2,594 issued (the most for a TG?), and 4th or 5th most expensive TG QSA on the day. Why?

Apart from their historic high price and the obvious research potential - but limited activity by the TG. But, when compared to actual activity surely the Hopefield TG QSA where they encountered invading Boers and HMS Sybille was wrecked in nearby Saldanha Bay is a better story than a chap in Kimberley sitting in his dugout during a siege?

I guess there is a "fashion" element to collecting.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 4 years 8 months ago #65072

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Yes, the most by some margin. Their prices may be inflated by the presence of a Star. Lot 567 at Spink (Pte A E Cundill) did include the Star and his date is included in the plots.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.686 seconds