DCMs for the Boer War 3 years 5 months ago #73026

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517

Pictures courtesy of City Coins

OBE (Mil) 1st type;
DCM EdVII with Second Award Bar dated 27th September 1901 (3502 Serjt. F.L. Andrews. 9th Lancers;);
QSA 8 Natal, Belm, Mod R, RoK, Paard, Jhburg, D Hill, Witt (3502 Serjt. F.L.Andrews 9/Lcrs (engraved naming);
KSA (2) (3503 S. Serjt.-Maj. F.L. Andrews. 9th Lancers);
BWM (R.M. & Major F.L. Andrews;);
IGS1908 (1) Afghanistan N.W.F. 1919 with MiD oakleaf (Maj. F.L. Andrews, 7 Hussars);
DM privately named: “Major F.L. Andrews, O.B.E., D.C.M.”;
1911 Coronation Medal privately named: “Lieut. F.L. Andrews, D.C.M.”

OBE: Suppl LG 12 September 1919, p11460 “In recognition of distinguished services rendered in India in connection with the War.”

DCM: LG 27 September 1901, p6305. As noted above Sergeant Andrews was wounded in the action at Brandfort on 25 March 1900 and reported for conspicuous gallantry in bringing men out of action. It can be assumed that he was awarded the DCM for the Brandfort gallantry.

Bar to DCM dated 27th September 1901: LG 21 April 1903, correcting LG 31 October 1902, where he was listed for a second DCM in error. The error probably resulted from LtCol R W R Barnes’ recommendation in his capacity as O/C 2nd Regt. Imperial Yeomanry: “A most deserving case for recognition of services. He has been of the very greatest use to me as Regimental Sergeant Major and I have the highest opinion of his capabilities & reliability. He has been of great use to the 2nd I.Y.”

In this undated WO document, he stated that Andrews had not received any previous awards or mentions.

Frank Leon Andrews was mentioned in Lord Roberts’s despatch dated 4 September 1901 (LG 10 September 1901, p5929) and again in Lord Kitchener’s final despatch dated 23 June 1902, where he is listed as local Regimental Sergeant-Major, 2nd Battalion Imperial Yeomanry. He was commissioned Riding Master and Hon. Lieutenant, 7th Hussars, 14 September 1904; Hon. Captain, 14 September 1914; Hon. Major, 14 September 1917. For his services on the North West Frontier of Afghanistan in 1919 he was mentioned in despatches, (LG 11 June 1920) and awarded the OBE.

A total of 12 Bars and 1 Second Bar to the DCM were awarded prior to the Great War. Only 7 of these awards were for the Boer War of which the one to Andrews was the last to be given.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Abbott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DCMs for the Boer War 3 years 5 months ago #73034

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of City Coins

DCM EdVII (Tpr. V.D. Todd. Robert’s Horse)
[ QSA (4) ]
[ KSA (2) ]

“The coolest deed of all, however, was done by an American named Todd, a trooper in Roberts’s Horse. With a comrade he had first volunteered to go out and bring in some stray horses for the disabled guns. Before they had ridden fifty yards the second trooper was shot dead, but Todd galloped on straight towards the Boers, rounded up both horses, and had nearly brought them back when one was killed. When he rejoined his detachment, Todd heard an officer asking for volunteers to go out in search of their doctor, who was lying wounded in a donga. Without waiting to hear more the trooper turned his horse’s head towards the Boer lines again and galloped off. Twenty minutes later he rode back slowly, bearing a heavy burden on his arms. ‘I couldn’t see the doctor anywhere,’ he said, ‘but I have brought back the only wounded man that I found alive there.’ If ever a man earned the right to wear the grim badge of Roberts Horse, it is Trooper Todd.”
“History of Lumsden’s Horse”, p105.

“And one Todd, an American who had ‘listed in Roberts’s Horse, galloped out to a donga, braving a perfect fusillade, and brought in a wounded man. Todd also wrought hard to save the guns.”
“Cassell’s History of the Bor War” Vol I, p854.

“The following Officers, non-commissioned and men risked their lives to save comrades under heavy fire: Private V D Todd, Roberts’ Horse”
Broadwood’s Report on action at Sannah’s Post: LG 8 February 1901, p890.

Van Dyke Todd, an American Stockman from Jefferson, Texas, enlisted in Roberts’ Horse at Cape Town on 17 January 1900 and was discharged at Pretoria on 22 April 1901. Four days later he enlisted in the “Corps of Cattle Rangers for Protection and Safe Conduct of Captured Stock” from which corps he was discharged for misconduct on 25 November 1901. His final military service was with the 1st Imperial Light Horse (16 December 1901 to 22 June 1902) . He received a 4-clasp QSA from Roberts’ Horse and a KSA from the ILH.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

DCMs for the Boer War 3 years 5 months ago #73063

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

DCM EdVII (Serjt.-Maj. Roberts. Cape M.R. Art. Tr.(;
[ QSA ]
1914/15 Star & BWM (Lieut. G.P. Roberts R.F.A._ (Late issue small font naming);
AVM (Lieut. G.P. Roberts) (original font naming).

George Peskett Roberts served in the Artillery Troop of the Cape Mounted Riflemen up to 13 November 1901 and from 14 November 1901 to the end of the war as Captain, “D” Squadron, Cape Colonial Forces. He was awarded 4-clasp QSA off the roll of the CMR and a 2-clasp KSA of the CCF roll.

“During the stay at Aliwal North (Mid-March 1900) the Division was inspected by Sir Alfred Milner and at the inspection Brabant’s Horse was presented with a 14 pdr. Q.F. Hotchkiss gun, with ammunition, donated by Mr. A. Beit. Brabant’s Horse having no gunners the Hotchkiss was, at first, operated by the Artillery Troop of the C.M.R. Capt. Lukin immediately got busy and put Sgt. G P Roberts in charge, placing him and a squad of troopers from Brabant’s Horse through a course of instruction. Capt. Lukin’s efforts paid good dividends for during the siege of Wepener some of the best shooting was the work of this detachment. Sgt. Roberts was a most efficient gunner and his work during the siege brought credit to himself and his detachment.”
“A Story of the Cape Mounted Riflemen” by Major A E Lorch.

“Sergt.-Major G. P. Roberts was also awarded the D.C.M., not only for conspicuous gallantry shown on several occasions, but especially for the manner in which he handled the 13-pounder Hotchkiss gun of which he was in charge.”
“Record of the Cape Mounted Riflemen” by Basil Williams.

“I wish to bring to your notice the names of Sergeant Roberts, Privates Rawlings and Robarts, and Trumpeter Washington of the Cape Mounted Rifles, Private Thorn of the Royal Scots, and Private Anderson of 2nd Brabant’s Horse, who all performed acts of bravery in bringing in wounded comrades under a very heavy fire”.
Report by LtCol E H Dalgety on Siege of Wepener, LG 8 February 1901, p887.

A “double award” of the DCM to Roberts was published in the LG of 27 September 1901: viz. to Sergeant-Major Roberts, Artillery Troop as well as to Sergeant G P Roberts. This mistake was later rectified. During WWI Roberts served as Lieutenant in 61 Howitzer Battery, RFA and died of wounds on 26 April 1916. His MIC makes no mention of a later duplicate issue of his WWI Trio.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

DCMs for the Boer War 3 years 5 months ago #73079

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

DCM EDVII (Sq.S.Mjr J.H. McBeath. Bethune’s M. I.);
QSA (6) CC, Tug H, OFS, RoL, Tvl, L Nek (726 T.S.Mjr. J.H. McBeath. S.A.C.);
KSA (2) (726 T.S. Mjr. J.H. McBeath. S.A.C.)

Sold with well-worn disc of original QSA, named to J.H. McBeth.

John Home McBeth (as per DCM Issue Register, Nominal and QSA rolls for Bethune’s M.I. & the QSA roll for the SAC); McBeath (as per KSA Roll for the SAC) and as Macbeth (as per Roberts’ Mention in Despatches in LG of 8 February 1901, p965) had an interesting career in the late 1890’s and early 1900’s. The following comes from his extensive file under surname McBeath for service in “A” Division, SA Constabulary.

December 1897. Sgt McBeth deserts from 2nd Btn, KRRC at Wynberg, taking about £21 from the Sergeants Mess Funds, he being caterer at the time.

20 October 1899. McBeth enlists in Bethune’s Mtd Infy with rank Squadron Sergeant-Major.

20 May 1900. McBeth in Scheepers Nek engagement. Ken Gillings, in an article “The Helpmekaar Duel” states that McBeth’s DCM was awarded after this action.

6 October 1900. McBeth discharged from Bethune’s MI.

22 October 1900. McBeth attests in the Transvaal Constabulary.

14-23 November 1900. Correspondence: Chief Staff Officer, SAC and O/C 2nd KRRC: McBeth exposed as deserter and thief.

10 January 1901. Letter from Baden-Powell to Chief of Staff, Pretoria, forwarding McBeth’s confession and expressing hope for a pardon.

4 April 1901. McBeath attests in SAC, back dated to 22 Oct 1900.

LG 19 April 1901. Award of DCM to McBeth.

1 June 1901. Note on McBeath’s SAC Record of Service, congratulating him on having been awarded the DCM for distinguished gallantry in the field on the Natal side when serving with Bethune’s MI. It would therefore appear that he was pardoned.

21 April 1902. Another note on McBeath’s SAC Record of Service, recording his gallantry and good work in the action at Spion Kop on 11 March 1902.

31 August 1907. Discharged at own request from SAC with character noted as “Exemplary”.

3 December 1908. Medals lost.

4 January 1912. Medals replaced on repayment.

An interesting man: brave but with a (temporary?) criminal streak. Worthy of further research.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

DCMs for the Boer War 3 years 5 months ago #73104

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

DCM VR (7330 Clr. Serjt. T. Morgan. Gren. Gds.);
QSA (4) CC, Witt, Tvl, SA’01 (7330 Clr. Serjt. T. Morgan. Gren. Gds.) engraved naming;
Coronation 1902 (bronze);
Coronation 1911: privately engraved T. Morgan;
Army MSM GV (C. Sjt. T. Morgan DCM, G. Gds.);
Army LS&GC VR (7330 Serg’t. T. Morgan. Gren. Gds.)

Minor contact marks and edge bruising, somewhat polished.

Thomas Morgan was born in Nottingham in May 1861. He enlisted in the Grenadier Guards in May 1880 and served in South Africa from November 1884 to November 1885. This was followed by service at home till July 1890, during which he was promoted to Corporal and eventually Sergeant. His next posting lasted some 10 years: in Bermuda on garrison duty. In October 1898 he was awarded his LS&GC Medal and advanced to Colour-Sergeant. He embarked for Boer War service in South Africa with the 2nd Battalion in March 1900. Soon after, Morgan saw action in the engagement at Biddulphsberg on 29 May 1900, when the Grenadiers were badly mauled. On that occasion, he assisted in the rescue of his C/O, Lt-Col F Lloyd who was wounded and caught behind the flames.

Lt-Col Lloyd takes up the story: “I managed to struggle for 300 yards or so, when Colour-Sergeant Morgan came up and helped me. He was one of the few unhit. Bullets were falling thick, but I reached a wire fence where I lay down behind a stone post for a minute or two. Colour-Sergeant Morgan and another man then came and insisted on pulling me along, while others received like aid, those who could walk helping those who could not. Some 200 yards further on I was put on to a Scots Guards stretcher... I asked Gilmour to mention the following who came under my notice: Lieutenant E. Seymour, 2nd Lieutenant A. Murray, and Colour-Sergeant Morgan.”

Morgan was duly mentioned in despatches by Lord Roberts (LG 10 Sept 1901, p5936) and the award of his DCM followed 2½ weeks later (LG 27 Sept 1901, p6310). Meanwhile, he had been invalided, and was discharged as ‘medically unfit for further service’ on his return to the UK in July 1901. He was then employed as a Gatekeeper at Windsor Castle until his retirement, except for a period during WWI when he served as RSM on the Military Prison Staff at the Aliens Detention Camp, Douglas, Isle of Man. This did not qualify him for any WWI medals, but he was awarded his MSM in 1933 (Army Order 122).

He died in Nottingham in September 1944, aged 84 years.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

DCMs for the Boer War 3 years 5 months ago #73116

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the next City Coins auction, November 2020

[ DCM ]
QSA (4) CC, OFS, Jhburg, D Hill 97138 Serjt. F.J. Rogers. R.H.A.);
KSA (2) (97138 Serjt. F.J. Rogers. R.H.A.);
1914-15 Star (51370 Sd. Q.M.Sjt. F.J. Rogers. R.F.A.);
BWM (51370 W.O.Cl.2. F.J. Rogers. R.A).;
Army LS&GC GV (Sd. Q.M. Sgt.F.J. Rogers. R.H.A)
Some contact marks.

Rogers was also awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal but unfortunately this has become separated from the remainder of his medal group.

Rogers served in “L” Section, Pom-Poms.

He was Mentioned in Roberts’ Despatch of 4 Sept. 1901 (rank: Collarmaker-Sergeant); DCM: The London Gazette of 27 Sept 1901.

The following extract is from his diary: “L Section, Pom-Poms, July 16th Witport. Attacked at 7am by a heavy force under Gen. Botha and we are gradually enveloped under tremendous fire, from front, right and left, L1 gun damaged by rifle fire and put out of action. We are relieved at sunset, our little garrison of 300 having held out against 1,600 Boers. *Awarded the D.C.M. for gallant conduct.”

He was discharged after 18 years’ service in 1911, but re-attested in the RFA with rank Sadler QMSgt, entering France on 31 May 1915.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.315 seconds