Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Life Guards 8 years 10 months ago #41377

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Susan,
Welcome here, perhaps you could tell us the "family story" in respect of Trooper George Smith, do you know the exact circumstances that surround his death for example?
Also, do you actually have the photograph that you have posted or is it just a digital image, if you have the actual photo, perhaps you might take a photograph of it, in attachment format that will show the detail when expanded on here.
The old cuirasses were really magnificent and had been used in anger in the 1794 campaign in Flanders, the example worn by him would not be all that different really, they were super looking.
Both the Foot Guards and all three regiments of Household Cavalry used regimental Christmas cards in the second half of the nineteenth century and this continued into the twentieth too, with the older ones actually being quite sort after in their own right these days, a brief glance at yours and you can see why that is so.
You mention medals, I would have thought with service from the 17th of August 1897 to the 28th of November 1899 here and service in the Anglo Boer War on campaign until the 29th of November 1900, he would only be entitled to the one medal, a single QSA.
Again welcome here,
Regards Frank Kelley
The following user(s) said Thank You: Susan Smith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Life Guards 8 years 10 months ago #41378

• Susan Smith
  • Thank you received: 4
There was, with the photograph of George, two other photographs - we have no clue who they are - although they were with a photograph of my Grandad who was a Dragoon; so they may have been friends - who knows? There is no one left in our family now to ask.

Attachments:

Medals to the Life Guards 8 years 10 months ago #41379

• Frank Kelley
Susan,
They are both Life Guards.

Medals to the Life Guards 8 years 10 months ago #41380

• Susan Smith
Hi Frank

George was named after his father - he was the second of eleven children born to George and Elizabeth Ellen Smith. He was born at Smithymoor Farm. Stanton. My Grandfather was one of his younger brothers. My Dad told me that George had to have his boots made for him because he was so tall (but I suppose they all would have done - my Dad was only 5' 7" so that must have impressed him). The story went that he caught pneumonia whilst guarding Queen Victoria's lying in state and died shortly afterwards. However, only last week, the daughter in law of another of George's siblings, Elizabeth, told me that when Victoria died, George was at home at Stanton, already ill, but insisted on going back to Windsor and rode in the funeral procession. Who knows what the truth is - if only we had asked before there was no one left.
Obviously apart from the family details, the above is all heresay - but is the best I can do.
The photo I have is scanned from what I think may be an original but it is in possession of my cousin. I will ask him to check and photograph it if it is the original.
Thanks for your interest
Sue Smith

Medals to the Life Guards 8 years 10 months ago #41381

• Susan Smith
Attachments:

Medals to the Life Guards 8 years 10 months ago #41382

• Frank Kelley
Hello Susan,
Okay, so as far as the family goes, it was pneumonia, well that is perfectly possible, but, if true, a very sad end and a needless waste of a very young brave man's life after an epic ride with General French in South Africa.
The photos really are superb by the way, many thanks for adding them, he was a fairly typical recruit, his height, six feet, one hundred and sixty pounds in weight, was quite normal and this was to continue for years, in all three regiments, the standards only fell a little bit into the Great War, but, soon recovered afterwards, they were very exceptional soldiers indeed.

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.750 seconds