Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to Murray's Horse and Scouts 9 years 5 months ago #23336

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Henk

Many thanks for the photo of Bowman's QSA. I will add it to the 'Murray' file. I hope that there will be other additions of this kind to this thread.

The possibility that A Bowman has a connection with 'Bowman Gilfillan' is also interesting. It is an uncommon surname and it should be possible confirm the link, or otherwise. Thanks to another member of this forum, I have the QSA to the other founder of this firm, Captain D F Gilfillan, Imperial Light Horse. It is a 'double relief' medal - Relief of Mafeking and Relief of Ladysmith.

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Murray's Horse and Scouts 8 years 11 months ago #40872

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2141
I happened upon this post purely by providence and am very glad I did!

I have just payed an arm and a leg (I'm not saying which one) for the QSA to Tpr. B. Varty of Murray's Horse.

I was particularly pleased because, thanks to this post, I now know that he was in D Troop and, more importantly, his name was Boyd VARTY although I rather suspect those were his surnames.

Many thanks for the info. Pictures attached although the medal is not in the post from Australia yet!

Regards

Rory

Attachments:

Medals to Murray's Horse and Scouts 8 years 11 months ago #40877

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I don't know how you define expensive, but, the last one I saw here sold at about the £250 mark recently.

Rory wrote: I happened upon this post purely by providence and am very glad I did!

I have just payed an arm and a leg (I'm not saying which one) for the QSA to Tpr. B. Varty of Murray's Horse.

I was particularly pleased because, thanks to this post, I now know that he was in D Troop and, more importantly, his name was Boyd VARTY although I rather suspect those were his surnames.

Many thanks for the info. Pictures attached although the medal is not in the post from Australia yet!

Regards

Rory

Medals to Murray's Horse and Scouts 8 years 11 months ago #40878

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2141
Then we're in the same ball park as our American friends would say Frank.

I have an interview with his great grandson on the farm Rietvlei in the Greytown/Mooi River area tomorrow.

One of those wonderful stories where the family are still on the farm since they started in the 1850's.

Regards

Rory

Medals to Murray's Horse and Scouts 8 years 11 months ago #40879

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I can assure you, in my particular case, that rumors of any American friends whatsoever, are quite untrue and have no foundation in fact at all, but, that just on it's own, as a QSA, is a good scarce medal and while they do appear for sale here, it is certainly not a frequent occurrence, I hope tomorrow, brings with it, some rewards.

Medals to Murray's Horse and Scouts 8 years 10 months ago #41183

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
A picture of the naming to Murray's Horse:

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.099 seconds