TOPIC:

Dordrecht TG badge 10 years 4 weeks ago #18734

• Stillburning
  • Stillburning's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Good Evening,

I used to be a collector of militaria but have not added to my collection for over 30 years.

I have recently thought about displaying some of my collection and whilst sorting through found this Dordrecht TG badge, it was bought in a shop in Bristol many years ago and I never managed to identify it. A new search even with the help of the internet has not led me to this site.

I think it may be a Dordrecht Town Guard cap badge, if anyone has any information I would be very grateful.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dordrecht TG badge 10 years 4 weeks ago #18735

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello and welcome here,
Yes, you are correct, not common things either and your example is very nice, what is the reverse like, are the loops still there?
Kind regards Frank Kelley
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stillburning

Dordrecht TG badge 10 years 4 weeks ago #18737

• Stillburning
  • Stillburning's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
I can hardly believe I didnt know about this for 30 years and then I find my answer in a few minutes!

Yes the loops are still there, pictured below (if I manage to add the attachment!)

Many thanks Simon

Attachments:

Dordrecht TG badge 10 years 4 weeks ago #18738

• Frank Kelley
Hello Simon,
Yes, thats fine, the Dordrecht Town Guard normally wore a silver DTG in an attractive script rather than block letters, the Dordrecht District Volunteer Guard usually wore the "curved" DDVG in plain block letters, these were made in King Williams Town in the Eastern Cape.
I always say to people that these are far rarer than the Queens South Africa medals named to these units, they were actually there, during the war and have simply not survived in the same quantity.
From memory papers have survived here in WO126/145-163 and their roll is in WO100/281.
Kind regards Frank

Dordrecht TG badge 10 years 4 weeks ago #18744

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Simon

A medal-collecting friend who died a few years ago was born and brought up in Dordrecht and he was very interested in the town and the surrounding region. He collected Town Guard QSA's and I think Frank is correct in saying the badge you have is rarer that Dordrecht TG QSA's. He would have paid a handsome price for such a badge!

Regards
Brett

Dordrecht TG badge 10 years 3 weeks ago #18751

• Frank Kelley
Brett,
I should have perhaps added that these were never made in the quantity that the medals were issued in, so not really surprising that they are so rare really.
Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Simon

A medal-collecting friend who died a few years ago was born and brought up in Dordrecht and he was very interested in the town and the surrounding region. He collected Town Guard QSA's and I think Frank is correct in saying the badge you have is rarer that Dordrecht TG QSA's. He would have paid a handsome price for such a badge!

Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.618 seconds