TOPIC:

Dordrecht TG badge 10 years 1 week ago #18757

• Stillburning
  • Stillburning's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Thank you again for your information.

Previously I knew very little about the Boer war but have been learning a lot just from the topics on this site.

The images of the nominal roll list less than 100 men, was that the extent of the unit? - If so it is perhaps not suprising how little information there seems to be, are you aware of any pictures of the unit?.

Most of my collection is WWI and WWII and is based around items given to me by relatives (30 years ago many pensioners were WWI veterans and WWII veterans were still of working age).

None of the surnames on the Dordrecht TG roll is one that I would associate with my family, there is however a Robinson which is my wifes maiden name although so common there is unlikely to be a connection.

Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dordrecht TG badge 10 years 1 week ago #18763

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Simon,
WO100/281 shows eighty six men, where did you actually get the badge from?
Regards Frank

Dordrecht TG badge 10 years 1 week ago #18764

• Stillburning
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Good evening Frank,

When I started collecting I was still at school but had a part time job and used to browse in some of the antique and militaria shops in Bristol.

One of them had a box of items that were not good enough to put on display, broken cap badges, boys brigade patches etc. which meant they did not cost much so I would have a rummage through and pick out pieces I was interested in and so build up my collection within my limited means.

The Dordrecht TG badge was one of those pieces, as I explained previously I had never been able to identify it but thought it likely to be Dutch and probably WWII era. I dont think the owner of the shop would have put it in that box if he had realised its origin!

Dordrecht TG badge 10 years 1 week ago #18765

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Simon,
Yes, there are still a couple of shops around there that sell bits and pieces just past the famous "Christmas steps" from memory.
So, bought in Bristol, for, I suspect, very little money?
Well, I would say it is both rarer than a QSA to the same and I have to add, that in my opinion, it is worth more too!
Regards Frank

Dordrecht TG badge 10 years 1 week ago #18766

• Stillburning
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Frank,

Yes your are correct there were (are) 2 shops on Park Row and a shop on Christmas Steps although that dealt more in coins stamps and postcards. By coincidence I met someone this week who lives in Bristol and collects militaria - I remembered how one of the shop owners in Park Row would open in the morning then close half an hour later to move his car, apparently the shop has the same owner and that is still the case! I remember buying a kukri from the other shop and taking it home on the bus, this would probably prompt a response from armed police now!

Apologies if I have gone somewhat off topic.

Simon

Dordrecht TG badge 10 years 6 days ago #18772

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Simon,

That was a very interesting series of posts. The badge you have is fantastic. I have never seen one of those before.

The medal roll, which I think you have already seen, lists 77 men of the Dordrecht TG ( www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/to...showall=&limitstart= ).

As to photographs, no I have not seen any of the DTG sadly.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds