• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4529
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900, Moranthorse1, pfireman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Artillery and Ammunition 10 months 1 week ago #90265

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

The new cavalry weapon
The galloping maxim of the 13th Hussars

Source: www.angloboerwar.com/forum/19-ephemera/3...n-jack?start=0#90162
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900, Moranthorse1

Small Arms and Ammunition 10 months 1 week ago #90280

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900, Moranthorse1

Small Arms and Ammunition 10 months 1 week ago #90286

• pfireman
  • pfireman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 38
I found the photo of the burning rifles some time ago. Recently I ran across this excellent photograph of Christiaan that also included an excerpt from his book. A close look at the photo shows the barrel to be pitted on the outside and a close look at the bolt shows the same.

SA War Vol 6. And: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Christiaan_de_Wet4.jpg

Navy & Army Illustrated Vol 11 Sept. 29th, 1900
[In August of 1900] Potchefstroom was not at that time in the hands of the English. I rode over to the town, and then it was that the well-known photo was taken of me that has been spread about everywhere, in which I am represented with a Mauser in my hand. I only mention this so as to draw attention to the history of the weapon which I held in my hand. It is as follows:– When the enemy passed through Potchefstroom on their way to Pretoria, they left a garrison behind them, and many burghers went there to give up their arms, which forthwith were burnt in a heap. When the garrison left the dorp the burghers returned. Amongst them were some who set to work to make butts for the rifles that had been burnt. "This rifle," I was told by the man who showed it to me, "is the two hundredth that has been taken out of the burnt heap and repaired." This made such an impression on me that I took it in my hand, and had my photo taken with it. I am only sorry that I cannot mention the names of the burghers who did that work. Their names are worthy to be enrolled on the annals of our nation.
Three Years' War by Christiaan Rudolf De Wet Charles Scribner's Sons, 1902 Trow Directory Printing And Bookbinding Company New York. https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/18794File:Christiaan de Wet4.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Small Arms and Ammunition 10 months 1 week ago #90287

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Interested Forum members
Regarding the photo of the Natal Police Maxims, I wonder if one of the crews of the two guns illustrated is "2185 Tpr. F.S.Edwards, Natal Police" who was noted in an OMRS article of September 2009 as being a member of the NP FF's Maxim Detachment and joined General Buller's Bodyguard on 20th July 1900 and earned the "Belfast" clasp. Thanks to Brett Hendy and Meurig Jones who wrote the article.
A bit off topic, but ........

Regards
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Small Arms and Ammunition 10 months 1 week ago #90290

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
IL,

There must be a good chance he is in the picture. Once trained to used a maxim, I would imagine those men would stay with the detachment?

The picture is from the issue on 11 November 1899. Had he joined the Natal Police by then?

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.843 seconds