Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Small Arms and Ammunition 2 years 2 weeks ago #82130

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1901
Rob,

Yes, not a Mk IV (or Mk III), as there is no cylinder cam.
Probably a Mk II.

I should look more carefully before posting ..!

Neville

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Small Arms and Ammunition 1 year 11 months ago #82802

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1901
Seemingly, President Steyn owned a Broomhandle Mauser.

This appeared in the Blayney Adocate (New South Wales), 26 Jan 1901, and lists mementoes brought home by members of the Molong Contingent of "A" Squadron, 1st New South Wales Mounted Rifles:

11 Lance-Sergeant Sydney WEEKES
30 Farrier-Sergeant Hubert GARLICK
69 Trooper Samuel BALL

RELICS OF THE WAR.
What is generally admitted (at the front as well as at home) as one of the most valuable and interesting mementoes of the Boer War is a Mauser pistol, now in possession of Farrier-Sergeant Hubert GARLICK, of Molong. The pistol is a marvel in mechanism, and a most up-to-date weapon in every respect, sighted, as it is, up to a thousand yards. It was originally the property of President Steyn, and was obtained by Sergeant GARLICK from De Wet’s laager at Bothaville, after the surrender of the Boers. Naturally, the present owner is proud of his memento, which he has had considerable difficulty in retaining since it came into his possession. Everyone wanted Steyn's pistol. Trooper Sam BALL did not come home empty-handed either. He brings along a beautiful gold watch with a massive gold chain. On entering a deserted laager, Sam noticed the watch and chain and held it up for inspection. “Put it in your pocket”, said an officer, and Sam did so. Sergeant S. WEEKES is the possessor of a Mauser rifle, a 4.7 shell, &c. Other members of the returned contingent have also brought home relics which will in years to come remind them of their South African experiences. And last, but not least, one brings home a cheque for about £150 — not too bad for a year's saving.

Molong presented tribute medals, an example of which is held in the National Army Museum collection.
SEE: MOLONG TRIBUTE MEDAL

The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Small Arms and Ammunition 1 year 11 months ago #82803

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 720
Yes,
Pres. Marthinus Theunis Steyn did carry a C96 'broomhandle' Mauser pistol.
Maybe if the captured one was lost to history, he even had two, because I seem to recall seeing his C96 in a display case in the War Museum of the Boer Republics in Bloemfontein.
I seem to vaguely recall it was a large-ring transitional model, in the 20,000 serial number range...
But I could be way off, my memory being what it is!

Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, pfireman

Small Arms and Ammunition 1 year 11 months ago #82863

• schooner
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Good morning all. Just a quick couple of questions about a Boer Mauser carbine I recently purchased. When Mausers were first distributed by the government, were records kept of who each weapon was given/sold to and if so are those records able to be searched? My carbine is missing the cleaning rod. Would I be correct in assuming that the rod for a Spanish or Chilean carbine will be a suitable replacement?

Small Arms and Ammunition 1 year 11 months ago #82864

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 720
Schooner,
You must be delighted - there were only 7,000 Boer Mauser carbines made, 5,000 marked Loewe and 2,000 DWM.
As far as I'm aware there is no list of burghers' names vs. rifles or carbines issued, for either the ZAR or the OVS (though as you'll know there were no OVS-issued carbines).
Boer Mauser carbines were issued to Staatsartillerie, officers, and the German Corps, among others.
By coincidence, I do have a new-old-stock clearing rod for a Boer Mauser carbine among my spares - send me a message if you'd like details. I shoot mine regularly.
Have a look back at earlier posts in this thread about the carbine sling swivels and sight ears - how is yours arranged?
Is yours carved?
Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Small Arms and Ammunition 1 year 11 months ago #82865

• schooner
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Rob and thank you so much for your reply. The weapon is serial number 4800, with the bolt to match. At some stage the top wood forward of the rear sight has been removed but fortunately one of my friends has a spare. The sling swivels are present and the saddle ring, for want of a better phrase has been switched to suit a right-handed shooter. The sight ears have been removed. I shall indeed message you about the cleaning rod and thank you once more for sharing your knowledge.
Schooner.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.812 seconds