Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA with added bars 9 years 11 months ago #19752

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
I am sure I remember this medal. Was it sold in New Zealand? If so tell the dealer to take it back as he had been told in the past the bars were wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA with added bars 9 years 11 months ago #19763

• NZMR
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi,

Yes, Geoff Oldham had (still has??) this for sale at NZ$475.

www.milimem.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_28&products_id=5198

Cheers

Phil

QSA with added bars 9 years 11 months ago #19764

• CMF
  • CMF's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello

Thanks for all of the interest. I have not bought this medal from Geoff and Geoff clearly states that the relief bars appear to be not awarded to this soldier. I did not mean infer that there was any deception on Geoff's part, he has always been totally honest with me about such things. I was considering buying the medal on the the basis that the relief clasps, just may have been awarded while the recipient was in another unit, but this is not the case it seems.

Thanks again,

Colin

QSA with added bars 9 years 11 months ago #19779

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 180
Chaps

This would be an extremely rare combination with the Relief of Kimberley and the Relief of Mafeking, as the Kimberley relief column literally left for Paardeberg soon after the Relief and the Mafeking Column was only organised a little later. The Defence of Kimberley/Relief of Mafeking combination is much more common due to this.I have only ever come across two recipients of this double Relief combination, Pte C Mott and Pte W.C. Jeffery both of the 7th Hussars who are both listed on the roll as servants to HSH Prince
Alexander of Teck, at that time a junior officer in the 7th Hussars.He signed the roll page listing only these two men as "these men were my servants" I would assume the Prince would have got the same clasps and there are probably other verified examples out there but still extremely rare.

Jon

QSA with added bars 9 years 11 months ago #19783

• CMF
  • CMF's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Jon. I have to admit this is one of the most vibrant and informative forums I have come across.

Regards

Colin

QSA with added bars 9 years 11 months ago #19787

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Colin, it seems you have set us an interesting first query! The advice you have received from the other members is sound and I would agree with what they have suggested.

Jon, the question of how many RoM/RoK QSAs there are is an intriguing one. I have a fledgling roll for the RoM (a future book I hope!). On this roll, I have the names of Mott and Jeffrey. These are the only two I have seen so far with this combination.

I have checked the Prince of Teck on the rolls. His regiment was the 1st Life Guards (WO100/112p1). He is listed with clasps Paar Drie Joh DH and RoK. No RoM.

Only Mott and Jeffery received the RoM clasp in the 7th Hussars.

More digging required I think!

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: crypt

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.497 seconds