Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Private William Harrison ° 26.2.1868 Houghton Le Spring Durham UK - 2nd Bttn G G 1 year 7 months ago #85362

• Fido69
  • Fido69's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, my name is Johnny. My biological grandfather was William Harrison .William’s first service period between 1888 and 1891 was with the 2nd Battalion of the Grenadier Guards. His service number was 1587. William was recalled to service in December 1899, and on 18 March 1900, the Battalion set sail for South Africa, arriving about 11 April. Along with the 2nd Scots Guards, 2nd East Yorkshire Regiment, and 1st Leinster Regiment, they formed the 16th Brigade under Major General Barrington Campbell and part of the 8th Division under General Leslie Rundle. Between 28-29, May Rundle’s Division encountered the Boers in strength and fought a battle which is generally known as Biddulphsberg.
There are several " William Harrison's" on this site, but non of them as Grenadier Guard.
I wonder if anyone could help me with any more info about him ? Medal ? Award ?
Thanks Johnny

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private William Harrison ° 26.2.1868 Houghton Le Spring Durham UK - 2nd Bttn G G 1 year 7 months ago #85363

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2304
Hi, Johnny, and welcome to the forum. If your grandfather was a married man in December 1899, when he was recalled, his wife would have been looked after financially, thanks to the colliery employees of the district -

"Tomorrow (Friday) at the whole of the Lambton Collieries Co.'s pits in the New Herrington, Houghton-le-Spring, Penshaw, and Fence Houses districts, which are again enjoying a full pay (11 days), each of the employees are contributing ½d per week towards the Reservists' Fund. Small though the amount may appear, when it is remembered that it is being given weekly and that over 12,000 workers are contributing, it will in the end amount to a substantial figure. The district has supplied at least 25 Reservists."
North-Eastern Daily Gazette, Thursday 16th November 1899

Private William Harrison ° 26.2.1868 Houghton Le Spring Durham UK - 2nd Bttn G G 1 year 7 months ago #85367

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Welcome Johnny,

There is a 8617 Pte W Harrison in the 2nd Grenadier Guard in the Boer War.

He was born in 1861 in West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England but your gf was born earlier.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Private William Harrison ° 26.2.1868 Houghton Le Spring Durham UK - 2nd Bttn G G 1 year 7 months ago #85368

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Johnny,

The only other W Harrison in the GGs in the Boer War is 5203 Pte W Harrison, 3rd GG who died 9 December 1900
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fido69

Private William Harrison ° 26.2.1868 Houghton Le Spring Durham UK - 2nd Bttn G G 1 year 7 months ago #85373

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Johnny
Welcome to the forum.
Is it possible you can provide some more details on William?
I have had a quick look reference the Grenadiers and searching with his regimental number.
Unfortunately no match at present. If you could give the forum some more details, DoB where he lived etc..we may be able to help.

Dave..... EDIT.... Sorry Johnny, I missed the info you posted in the title.... Will have another look.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Private William Harrison ° 26.2.1868 Houghton Le Spring Durham UK - 2nd Bttn G G 1 year 7 months ago #85376

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hi Johnny
Your paternal Grandfathers attestation papers.
Looks like he never made it to South Africa
Musician by trade and a former member of the Northumberland Fusiliers.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.034 seconds