Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Scrapbook Journal of Eric Jeffrey Hill (1880?- 1929), soldier, war correspondent 3 years 9 months ago #69857

• AFree
  • AFree's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 10
Hello, I'm a new member from Sydney, Australia.

I've joined to share some of the material contained in a scrapbook Journal of Eric Jeffrey Hill (1880?- 1929 (1 May, 1929), a soldier, war correspondent, journalist, poet and artist who served in the Boer War and settled in Sydney, Australia.

"A native of England, the late Mr Hill enlisted in the Boer War and subsequently became the war correspondent for the London 'Graphic'. In 1900 he nearly died from fever in Durban". From his eulogy published in the Daily Telegraph, 7 May 1929, p.3

"He first saw fighting in the Pukawaani Expedition, Cape Colony in 1894 under Col. Dave Harris (the first time machine guns ever actually used in warfare). His second dose of fighting was, curiously enough, on the side of Brother Boer, for he accepted an invitation to go up "unattached" on the staff of the late General Joubert when he was ordered to punish the Spelonkians for the murder of Boer families. When the South African War broke out he was in Johannesburg writing for the Birmingham "Daily Post" and doing black and white work for the London "Graphic", as well as a number of South African papers. Shortly after, he was ordered to Delgagoa Bay, which at that time considered to be one of the chief keys to the Transvaal. On arrival at this Portugese town he was attached to the staff of Major Browne of the British Intelligence Department, until invalided home to the Old Country. After six months furlough he returned to South Africa but was not taken "on the strength" again owing to bad attacks of malaria fever which he had contracted in the Bay."
Excerpt from "N.S.W. Recruiting Publicity Officer", Farm and Grazier, 25 June 1918

Worked as a graphic artist for the London "Graphic" and numerous publications throughout his career. Exhibited several artworks as 'Eric Jeffrey' which were in a selling exhibition in 1902 by F.J Botting auctioneer, King William Street, Adelaide in 1902 (18 September 2.30pm auction) (catalogue in scrapbook). Lionel Lindsay (1874-1961) drew a portrait of E J Hill (whereabouts unknown). A reproduction is in the scrapbook.

E J Hill worked as editor "Remnants from Randwick" a publication written and Illustrated by Patients at No.4 Army General Hospital Randwick, N.S.W.
Hill, E.J and Australia. Army. Australian General Hospital, 4th. Remnants from Randwick Randwick, N.S.W: No. 2
Hill, E.J and Australia. Army. Australian General Hospital, 4th. Remnants from Randwick Randwick, N.S.W: No. 4 Australian General Hospital, 1919.
Web. 23 June 2020 < nla.gov.au/nla.obj-5244254 >

Subsequent career of Eric Jeffrey Hill:

1902-1908 On staff "Evening News"

1907 First Secretary, NSW Insitute of Journalists

1908 -1911 Secretary NSW Public Service Association; Editor "Public Service Journal" and "Commonwealth Transmitter"
(See Lionel Lindsay's portrait drawing of E J Hill (reproduced in Scrapbook).

1911-1914 Rejoined "Evening News"

1914-1916 Naval and Military Reporter "Sydney Morning Herald"

1919 On staff of "Daily and Sunday Sun"

1920 On staff of "Sunday Times" to reorganise certain features

1923 On staff "Daily Guardian"

1929 Death around 1 May, Coogee, Sydney

1920-1927 Articles in Ford's News; Power Farming in Australia and Smith's Weekly as well as papers in Australia, NZ and England.

1914 Hon. Assistant Secretary, Eastern Suburbs Ambulance
1914 - 1927 Publicity Officer, Eastern Suburbs Ambulance Carnivals
1914 - 1927 Publicity Officer, Eastern Suburbs and NSW Ambulance Transport Service Art Unions (with one exception)
1916-1918 Publicity Officer, NSW Recruiting Committee
(including creating "Car's Thousand" www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30912 )
1921 Publicity Officer, Manly Carnival
1922 Publicity Officer, Chamber of Manufacturers Exhibition, RAS showground
1925 Publicity Officer, "Rose Day"
1926 Publicity Officer, "Be Kind to Animals Week"
1926 Publicity Officer, "Horses Home Day"
1926 Publicity Officer, "Poppy Day"
1927 Publicity Officer, "Be Kind to Animals Week"

Father: Mr Frederick Hill, first Royal Warwick Volunteers
Uncle: Surgeon-General Sir Campbell Brown, served with Lord Roberts in India and Afghanistan.
Brother: Private P.S. Hill, Boer war, WWI Western front, gassed, lost an eye and severely wounded.
Brother: Lieut. G. A. Hill, HMAS Torrens

The scapbook contains a wealth of material including:

* An original sketch plan for the attack on Komari River Bridge, known as ... Annotated on the front in pencil: Sketch plan for the attack on Komari River Bridge / 27/1299 / Lourenco, Marques. On reverse in pencil with another sketch plan " Sketch plan of country, rivers & bridges Koomati Poort to Piseni for Major Younge B.I.D. 27/12/99".

* several original annotated photographs of famous Boer war people and locations dating from 1889 - 1902.

* several original portrait watercolours and drawings by E J Hill from this period.

I'd like to post some of this material here and would welcome any advice about the most appropriate forum location (or should I just post it all here?).

Many thanks.
Adam Free
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Scrapbook Journal of Eric Jeffrey Hill (1880?- 1929), soldier, war correspondent 3 years 9 months ago #69858

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Adam
Welcome to the Forum from another Sydneysider. The scrapbook sound very interesting and perhaps you might share some of it with us; the heading Miscellaneous sounds appropriate.
Looking forward to seeing it.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AFree

Scrapbook Journal of Eric Jeffrey Hill (1880?- 1929), soldier, war correspondent 3 years 9 months ago #69862

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Welcome Adam!

That scrapbook sounds fantastic. Thank you for sharing the contents with us. I like the picture from Dundee that you have just posted.

In terms of where to locate then, you can keep them together in this post or you can spread then around the other areas of the forum. The former would be easier.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: AFree

Scrapbook Journal of Eric Jeffrey Hill (1880?- 1929), soldier, war correspondent 3 years 9 months ago #69869

• AFree
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
27/12/1899 A sketch plan for the attack on Komari River Bridge, known as ... Annotated on the front in pencil: Sketch plan for the attack on Komari River Bridge / 27/1299 / Lourenco, Marques. On reverse in pencil with another sketch plan " Sketch plan of country, rivers & bridges Koomati Poort to Piseni for Major Younge B.I.D. 27/12/99"

I would welcome any thoughts / feedback on these - I haven't so far been able to identify a particular action / proposed action to which they relate.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Scrapbook Journal of Eric Jeffrey Hill (1880?- 1929), soldier, war correspondent 3 years 9 months ago #69870

• AFree
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Photo by Eric Jeffrey Hill (1880?- 1929). Caption reads: CGR employees who fought the armoured train at Maribogo siding. First Engagement of Transvaal war. White Flag shot away 3 times.
Attachments:

Scrapbook Journal of Eric Jeffrey Hill (1880?- 1929), soldier, war correspondent 3 years 9 months ago #69873

• AFree
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
1901? Harry Rawson's (Admiral of the Fleet) farewell to Australian Light Horse Regiment. Extensively captioned in image. 'Me' on bottom left refers to Eric Jeffrey Hill. Photographer unknown.
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.938 seconds