Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Scrapbook Journal of Eric Jeffrey Hill (1880?- 1929), soldier, war correspondent 5 months 1 week ago #92865

• Wex
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi. These photos belong to which archive? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Scrapbook Journal of Eric Jeffrey Hill (1880?- 1929), soldier, war correspondent 5 months 1 week ago #92866

• Wex
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi. These photos belong to which archive? Many Thanks.

Scrapbook Journal of Eric Jeffrey Hill (1880?- 1929), soldier, war correspondent 5 months 1 week ago #92873

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 822

Adam captioned the above photo "1901? Harry Rawson's (Admiral of the Fleet) farewell to Australian Light Horse Regiment. Extensively captioned in image. 'Me' on bottom left refers to Eric Jeffrey Hill. Photographer unknown."

I am 99% certain it was taken in 1909 in Australia. Although Sir Harry Rawson had been active in Africa before the ABW he had nothing to do with the ABW. The first year of it he was in command of the Channel Fleet and spent the rest of the war kicking his heels in GB waiting for an appointment. This came as the ABW ended and he went to Australia as Governor of New South Wales. Whilst there he was made honorary Colonel of one of Australian Light Horse Regiments. In 1909 he returned to GB and died the following year.
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.409 seconds