Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Greetings from Australia 12 years 1 month ago #2439

• Stephen Bayley
  • Stephen Bayley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 32
Recently received the family medals. Included in this collection is my Great Grandads (Walter Bayley) Boer War Medal (QSA) plus clasps and I am doing some research before getting them mounted. Appears he joined the SA Colonial Forces 1st Brabants Horse. Would appreciate someone letting me how I can vouch his medals are complete online if possible? Does this mean looking up WO 100/237 but this I cannot find online? Any suggestions??

With Thanks
Stephen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Greetings from Australia 12 years 1 month ago #2441

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Hello Steven and welcome to the forum.

On the list for Brabant's Horse in WO100/237p132 is a supplementary roll entry for 64 Hospital Corporal W B Bayley with entitlement to the SA01 clasp. A note says the clasp was sent to him on 12 Jun 1908 to the address Te Karatta, Poverty Bay, New Zealand.

Walter Bayley is listed on the QSA roll WO100/237p12 for the three clasps Cape Colony, Transvaal and Wittebergen.

This would appear to be his sole entitlement for the Boer War. Given the time between the issue of the medal and the issue of the SA01 clasp, it would be common for this clasp to be missing but sometimes it is loose on the ribbon.

Is this what you have recently received?

According to the nominal roll for 1st Brabants ( angloboerwar.com/unit-information/south-...abants-horse?start=1 ) he joined on 12 Jul 00 and served until 27 Mar 01.

There may be an attestation paper for him in WO100/126/6 but these are not on line so you would probably need a researcher at the UK archives to search for you. See Paul Baillie's details in contacts to pursue this.

Good luck
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Greetings from Australia 12 years 1 month ago #2442

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi Stephen, welcome aboard!

I had a look at the roll and if your Great Grandad was No. 64, Hosp'l Corp'l, Walter B Bayley, 1st Brabant's Horse then this is what the roll has him as:

WO 100/237 pg 12, dated 9 April 1902, Cape Town signed by it looks like Lieut C.A.Ward Adj Brabant's Horse:- QSA with Wittenbergen, Cape Colony and Transvaal clasps.

Then, a later award of a South Africa 1901 clasp on WO 100/237 pg 132 dated 29 June 1904, Cape Town. Signed by OC Discharge Depot, SA Mounted Irregular Forces. Can read the signature but a Major Edward Lov.... There is a note under remarks that the issue of the SA 1901 clasp was to (it looks like/) Te Karaka, Doverty Bay, New Zealand on AG2/?/17735. It is noted that he didn't serve in any other units and wasn't entitled to the KSA.

This seems to be his complete entitlement. Send me a PM with your e-mail address if you want me to send you copies of the two pages. You will be able to find online copies of the roll on Find My Past or Ancestry.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Greetings from Australia 12 years 1 month ago #2444

• Mark Wilkie
Seems David and I were both busy on this at the same time.

Cheers,

Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephen Bayley

Re: Greetings from Australia 12 years 1 month ago #2445

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Indeed. But good to see the two responses corresponded :)

I was intrigued by your interpretation of the address in Poverty Bay and thinks your is the more likely.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Greetings from Australia 12 years 1 month ago #2448

• Mark Wilkie

djb wrote: Indeed. But good to see the two responses corresponded :)

I was intrigued by your interpretation of the address in Poverty Bay and thinks your is the more likely.

Best wishes
David

Also thought it looked like Poverty but then thought surely not. The Doverty might have had something to do with the doves outside my window. Who knows. Perhaps it will make sense to Stephen.

Cheers,

Mark

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.891 seconds