Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Family research leads to Ladysmith 9 years 2 months ago #25138

• Damon Corr
  • Damon Corr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
That makes sense Frank as my cousin Jim has his QSA that bears the Natal clasp but no mention of Ladysmith, I guess he must have been fortunate enough to have moved off with his wife and newborn baby in tow before the siege began which was only around five weeks after Uncle Bob was born. Fascinating!

Now to read up on what he got up to with the Leicesters!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Family research leads to Ladysmith 9 years 2 months ago #25139

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Well, I would have thought, perhaps, an administrative role, the 1st Leicester's were already in Natal when the tea time war was declared, but, Corr does not have the clasp combination that is the norm for this regiment, the Natal clasp buttoned very tightly over a very large area as far as the coat worn by the Natal Field Force went, Estcourt, Frere, Chieveley and so on!

Family research leads to Ladysmith 9 years 2 months ago #25142

• Damon Corr
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Please excuse my ignorance Frank, I'm literally picking up the story for the first time. From what I've read today it seems that the force at Dundee, following Talana on Oct 20th, slogged cross country to Ladysmith and I read something about the 1st Leicestershires taking up a position to the north of the town during the siege, coincidentally as I'm writing this the postman has literally just delivered a copy of 'Ladysmith Siege' by GW Lines in which the Leic's are listed as a defending regiment totalling near one thousand officers and men.

If James Corr was attached to the 1st Leics' and the RIR were not present is it likely that he was at Ladysmith during the siege having departed Dundee with the remainder of the force?

Once again any guidance shall be observed and appreciated.

Regards, Damon

Family research leads to Ladysmith 9 years 2 months ago #25145

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Damon

There were clasps issued for Talana and the Defence of Ladysmith, if he had been present he would have had these clasps.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Family research leads to Ladysmith 9 years 2 months ago #25146

• Damon Corr
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I felt this must have been the case, he has only Natal on his ribbon, I must confess to being quiet confused as to his whereabouts during this period particularly with a wife and baby following him around. Thanks for the confirmation.

Family research leads to Ladysmith 9 years 2 months ago #25147

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Damon,
His QSA has a Natal clasp, so as I mentioned to you before, an error would have to have been made if he had served in Ladysmith actually during the siege, I certainly don't think that was the case.
From memory, the 1st Battalion Leicester's were up north in Glencoe when the opening shots were fired, but, as Meurig points out, certain clasps were issued to men who qualified for them, Corr's age, his rank and very considerable service prior to the war supports the possibility that he might have had a position on the strength of the battalion, but, without actually serving with it's main component, I don't know if you have ever set foot in Natal, but, it is huge, moreover, it remains quite sparsely populated, even today.
Kind regards Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.407 seconds