Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Family research leads to Ladysmith 9 years 1 month ago #25148

• Damon Corr
  • Damon Corr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Frank, I spent some of my own service in Africa but not the south so sadly I haven't visited the area, but I can see it on the agenda for a visit in the future.

Thanks to you all, this has been a very interesting day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Family research leads to Ladysmith 9 years 1 month ago #25149

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Damon,
Sadly, I cannot tell you what I suspect you want to hear, Corr may well have been doing something really mundane, but, unless he has left any letters or a diary that has yet to be found, I'm afraid that you may never have the answer, so many people come on here so very often and they really do seem to think that there is some magic document that reveals a particular man's day to day life during the war, they don't exist, it simply does not happen.
Notwithstanding, you have a very detailed account of Corr's service, which was very considerable indeed, he saw the end of an era, the real golden age and the beginning of modern warfare, so you have much to be very grateful for.
My own thoughts are that you can forget Dundee and Ladysmith, I'd be thinking more Frere or similar.
Regards Frank

Family research leads to Ladysmith 9 years 1 month ago #25150

• Damon Corr
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Well of course we'd all like to find a nugget of gold but to be honest this journey has been gripping regardless of the Ladysmith connection albeit immovably Robert James Corr's place of birth.

My cousins who are still in Ireland may have access to more than the QSA itself, I'll have a word with them to see what we can track down between us. I've still got some research to do about the tail end of his service as I still find it incredible that he voluntarily rejoined the RIR in 1916 aged 48 and perhaps it's no surprise that his eldest son Robert James Corr served for over thirty years in RIR/RUR as he was quite literally born in to it.

Meanwhile the remainder of this forum and website is fascinating and I'll keep reading to see what I might be able to piece together of the events that he was somewhere a part of.

Take care Damon

Family research leads to Ladysmith 9 years 1 month ago #25163

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Damon,
It was not all that unusual for a soldier to try his hand again in the Great War, times were still very hard indeed for many and the chance to serve the king again was often too much to resist, many tried to join and by 1916 matters had really become a war of simple attrition, in many cases, the War Office were very happy to just look the other way.
Regards Frank

Family research leads to Ladysmith 3 years 2 months ago #74197

• Damon Corr
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
It's been some time since many of you assisted me with some great advice regarding my GGF's service in South Africa. Over that period I have amassed a fair collection of books and documents regarding the war. I have also, more recently been made aware that another Irish cousin who emigrated to the US many years ago, had in his possession some of my GGF's original documents including what appears to have been a 'pay book' or similar (unfortunately he hasn't sent an image of the cover). Within its pages in a section dealing with 'Particulars of Advances' in the page dated 1899 it clearly states 'Ladysmith, Natal' and on the next page dated 1900 'Maritzburg, Natal' which I think answers my initial query as it seems that at some stage perhaps before the war began or shortly after, he, his wife and baby son, were removed to Maritzburg for the duration until their eventual voyage to India in March 1900. As many of you had been kind enough to offer your views and assistance I thought I should share this new information with you. Thank you.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Family research leads to Ladysmith 1 year 1 month ago #88450

• ben_dolby
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Damon. Random message I'm sat with my uncle Sylvester Morgan and his grandfather is James coor his mother is Alice corr. We've randomly stumbled upon this post and he's asked me to message you because he think you may be a long lost relative. He grew up in Lough shinny. He's currently in Melton mowbray Leicestershire England. Hope you see this and get back to me as he's very interested in what I've read to him on this thread . Cheers Ben

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.412 seconds