Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

medals and awards 9 years 5 months ago #23449

• saxon
  • saxon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi, managed to acquire some good groups this week one to Sgt Ernest Sidney Evans, 5th Lancers Q.S.A. K.S.A. L.S.G.C. With five clasps including Elandslaagte. I think this topic has come up before, but cant remember which squadron charged, I think he was in A squadron. Secondly he is on the casualty roll as Severely Wounded at Steinbach's Farm 3/6/01 can anybody give me any more info on this action. best regards Saxon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: absentminded beggar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

medals and awards 9 years 5 months ago #23450

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Very nice indeed, he was certainly a member of "A" Squadron upon discharge, members of "C" Squadron took part in the "tea time pursuit" on the 21st of October 1899, I wonder what made him leave the Delhi Spearmen? :(
It is interesting that the incident on the 3rd of June 1901 is not shown on the relevant page in WO97

medals and awards 9 years 5 months ago #23454

• saxon
Thanks for the response Frank, just found a little more on him, Re-engaged to complete 21 years service 9/7/02 discharged as Sergeant upon termination of his second period of engagement 1/10/10. and a small write up in the historical records of the 5th Lancers page 276. regards.

medals and awards 9 years 5 months ago #23473

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think it is a very nice trio indeed, to be quite honest though, I've often found these men to be a real pain in the backside regarding the 21st of October, you end up having to look carefully at every source, newspapers, letters and diaries both published and unpublished, moreover, quite frankly, their value is certainly not always increased even if he was a member who took part in their now famous pursuit.
I think it is also important to bare in mind that it was really little more than that, a chase, at last, a chance to sound the bugle do what they had trained so hard for, whilst, it was merely played upon by certain elements outside of the British Army, for most of the rank and file, I dare say, it would certainly have been the very best evening they had for a long time, better than the spit and polish dismounted duties at Canterbury, a rare chance to get their furled pennons "home".

medals and awards 9 years 5 months ago #23478

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Frank,
Succinctly put and a good evaluation as always ;)
Saxon a very nice group, a great addition to your collection.

Paul

Frank Kelley wrote: I think it is a very nice trio indeed, to be quite honest though, I've often found these men to be a real pain in the backside regarding the 21st of October, you end up having to look carefully at every source, newspapers, letters and diaries both published and unpublished, moreover, quite frankly, their value is certainly not always increased even if he was a member who took part in their now famous pursuit.
I think it is also important to bare in mind that it was really little more than that, a chase, at last, a chance to sound the bugle do what they had trained so hard for, whilst, it was merely played upon by certain elements outside of the British Army, for most of the rank and file, I dare say, it would certainly have been the very best evening they had for a long time, better than the spit and polish dismounted duties at Canterbury, a rare chance to get their furled pennons "home".

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxon

medals and awards 9 years 5 months ago #23480

• saxon
Hi Frank, I could not have put it better myself, the thing that really attracted me to this group was of course the Elanslaagte clasp and him being severely wounded at Steinbach's Farm which action I know little about, that's what attracts me to the Boer War there are apart from the major actions, many smaller ones also worthy of note, and so much research still available to uncover. With this group I also acquired a medal to 3647 Pte Harrison R. 10th Hussars On Casualty roll, wounded and prisoner at Sanna`s Post,in an action at Ladybrand he was surprised by the Boers, and in trying to escape, his horse fell on him and fractured his knee, he was also shot in the testacle he was discharged 1901 medically unfit, as you would be!! Later on got coal gas poisoning, and committed suicide in 1946 aged 70.How unfortunate is that. regards Saxon.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.284 seconds