TOPIC:

medals and awards 9 years 5 months ago #23487

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
Saxon,

A very nice group :)

Frank - do you have a list of the 5th Lancers by squadron?
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

medals and awards 9 years 5 months ago #23489

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
Saxon,

The casualty roll has Steynback's Farm. I searched the papers for Steynback/Steinback Farm without luck. It was perhaps a very small engagement which saw Evans and McCluny wounded on 3 June 1901.

I believe the 5th Lancers were in Cape Colony at the time. On 15th June, they had another casualty near Lilliefontein.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxon

medals and awards 9 years 5 months ago #23523

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good afternoon David,
I used to be very interested in the British Cavalry and collected little else for many of my youthful years, the Delhi Spearmen were always my favourite, although, in the case of the 5th Lancers, I noted the particular squadrons that a given man served in where possible, but, to the best of my knowledge, no nominal roll is extant for this regiment for the period in question, moreover, I don't envy anyone who engages in such a venture.
Kind regards Frank

djb wrote: Saxon,

A very nice group :)

Frank - do you have a list of the 5th Lancers by squadron?

medals and awards 9 years 5 months ago #23525

• Frank Kelley
Incidentally David,
I always liked the "Spearmen" simply because you had the three clasps on their Mutiny medals of 1857!
Kind regards Frank

medals and awards 9 years 5 months ago #23528

• Frank Kelley
Hello Paul,
Make no mistake, this was all about the enemy, in particular, the colour of his skin, on the day in question, those that were not ultimately of European descent were actually European themselves!
Kind regards Frank

coldstream wrote: Frank,
Succinctly put and a good evaluation as always ;)
Saxon a very nice group, a great addition to your collection.

Paul

Frank Kelley wrote: I think it is a very nice trio indeed, to be quite honest though, I've often found these men to be a real pain in the backside regarding the 21st of October, you end up having to look carefully at every source, newspapers, letters and diaries both published and unpublished, moreover, quite frankly, their value is certainly not always increased even if he was a member who took part in their now famous pursuit.
I think it is also important to bare in mind that it was really little more than that, a chase, at last, a chance to sound the bugle do what they had trained so hard for, whilst, it was merely played upon by certain elements outside of the British Army, for most of the rank and file, I dare say, it would certainly have been the very best evening they had for a long time, better than the spit and polish dismounted duties at Canterbury, a rare chance to get their furled pennons "home".

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.467 seconds