TOPIC:

Introduction 9 years 7 months ago #22549

• Court
  • Court's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All

I arrived here by way of a genealogical search. I am currently researching HG Field of Scottish Horse 1st Regiment. Like everyone, I suspect, I have more questions than answers. Have been enjoying the site immensely - I find myself diverging off the topic and getting reading - the history is captivating.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduction 9 years 7 months ago #22550

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Court
The Palmer Casualty roll shows Capt. H.G.FIELD of 1 Scottish Horse as Sev. Wounded at Witpoort on 13121901. The action at Witpoort is briefly mentioned in Stirling's "The Colonials in South Africa"; with Capt. Field mentioned by name with five ORs wounded. SH (no matter the Bn) were a crack force and the recruiting and operational work of both Bns is a good subject for study.
A further note, I had a look for your man in "A Military History of Perthshire" (which contains much info on the SH) and Capt. H.G.FIELD was noted as commanding A Squadron of the SH immediately prior to the action at Moedwil on 30091901. I cannot help with his movements until 13121901.
Good luck with your quest.
IL.

Introduction 9 years 7 months ago #22555

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Horatio George Field was appointed the rank of Captain in the 1st Scottish Horse and served with them from the 12th of December 1900 until he resigned on the 24th of April 1902, he had seen service with the Field Intelligence Department, moreover, I would suggest that he was actually attached from them and of course had already been present throughout the awful siege in Kimberley as a subaltern in the Town Guard, an interesting gentleman to be sure, I wish you good luck with your research.

Court wrote: Hi All

I arrived here by way of a genealogical search. I am currently researching HG Field of Scottish Horse 1st Regiment. Like everyone, I suspect, I have more questions than answers. Have been enjoying the site immensely - I find myself diverging off the topic and getting reading - the history is captivating.

Introduction 9 years 7 months ago #22556

• Court
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for the information. May I ask how it is you know he was a subaltern in Kimberley and had endured the siege in Kimberley?

I only ask as it was my understanding that he was in the Mafikeng siege and the Mafikeng siege notes we have are testimony to this. Having said this I have found some association for HG Field with the Cape Police - but no historical record tying him to that unit, either before or during the war.

How would I go about tracking his activity before the war? I find it odd that he would have been recruited to the Scottish Horse as a Captain, and can only assumed he had a military history prior to recruitment.

Introduction 9 years 7 months ago #22557

• Court
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Okay, not to worry. Did the search, got the answer. Great site!!!!

Still doesn't explain the Mafikeng siege notes. Oh well.

Introduction 9 years 7 months ago #22560

• Court
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I got Moedwil on Google earth no problem (just around the corner from my farm as it turns out!!!). Any ideas on which Witpoort they are referring to?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds