Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Introduction 9 years 7 months ago #22564

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
When you say H G Field, if you are actually talking about Horatio George Field, then I just looked at the relevant rolls namely, WO100/268, WO100/282, WO100/354 and then compared those with the relevant entries in WO127, the originals of which are at Kew.
I suggest that he was attached/seconded to the Scottish Horse and certainly not "recruited" in the actual sense of that word.
I think that when researching these men, it is always best to start at the very beginning, I did see a very likely match in RG10 regarding his birth.

Court wrote: Thanks for the information. May I ask how it is you know he was a subaltern in Kimberley and had endured the siege in Kimberley?

I only ask as it was my understanding that he was in the Mafikeng siege and the Mafikeng siege notes we have are testimony to this. Having said this I have found some association for HG Field with the Cape Police - but no historical record tying him to that unit, either before or during the war.

How would I go about tracking his activity before the war? I find it odd that he would have been recruited to the Scottish Horse as a Captain, and can only assumed he had a military history prior to recruitment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduction 9 years 7 months ago #22567

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Court
Re your 22556
The "Kimberley Siege Account and Medal Roll" by djb (ISBN 978 1 870192 040) gives additional bio info on H.G.FIELD.
Regards
IL.

Introduction 9 years 7 months ago #22578

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Court,

And a warm welcome to the forum.

Paul :)

Court wrote: Hi All

I arrived here by way of a genealogical search. I am currently researching HG Field of Scottish Horse 1st Regiment. Like everyone, I suspect, I have more questions than answers. Have been enjoying the site immensely - I find myself diverging off the topic and getting reading - the history is captivating.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.775 seconds