Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Clanwilliam Boer War graves 10 years 7 months ago #13930

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Brian,

Here are some excerpts from The Times for the period giving a little more details.

They also clarify that Gatsworthy should be Sgt A Goldsworth. He was KIA 20 Dec 01.

The Times, 28 Dec 01:

The Times, 30 Dec 01:

The Times, 31 Dec 01:

The Times, 4 Jan 02:

Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clanwilliam Boer War graves 10 years 7 months ago #13931

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Brian,

It is quite unusual for an officer to have this kind of memorial. I wonder whether there is another memorial to him somewhere?

He had only recently joined but to promulgate the error in his name when the crosses were made must have been very disappointing to his family if they every visited.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Clanwilliam Boer War graves 10 years 7 months ago #13933

• Brianc
  • Brianc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 49
David

Fantastic work, thanks very much. I did not know about these minor actions in the Western Cape region.

As I said before I do suspect there were more burials at St.Johns. Too many spaces between graves and rows. Very unlike any other military cemetry I have visited before.

Adding a picture of an Unknown 16th Lancer...just crazy they knew his regiment but not his name, COULD it be Pte Priest's grave...I suspect it is?

Regards
Brian
Attachments:

Clanwilliam Boer War graves 10 years 7 months ago #13936

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Brian,

The history of the 16th Lancers says "In 1901 the 3rd Cavalry Brigade was broken up. The 16th were employed in the columns under Colonel White and other leaders operating in the south of the Orange River Colony and in Cape Colony. These columns had constant skirmishing and very hard work. In the last year of the war the 16th Lancers were much employed in the Calvinia and Clanwilliam district, and often had sharp fighting and some losses, as on 23rd December 1901, when 1 officer and 3 men were killed and 13 wounded."

These graves show what 'sharp fighting' really means.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brianc

Clanwilliam Boer War graves 10 years 7 months ago #13938

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The officer killed on 23 Dec 01 was 2nd Lt Younger. Dooner's entry gives some details of the events of that few days.

He was killed in action between Clanwilliam and Calvinia, Dec. 23rd, 1901. He was the second son of George Younger, Esq., of Valleyfield, Cuiross, Fife, N.B., was born in July, 1882, and educated at Harrow. He entered the 16th Lancers in August, 1900, and proceeded to South Africa, Jan., 1901, and served with his Regiment in Cape and Orange River Colonies.

The day he was killed 2nd Lieut. Younger behaved with great gallantry. The Boers had attacked a convoy with much determination on Dec. 22nd, but had been driven off. The next day, however, being most anxious to get supplies, they renewed the attack, and had taken possession of a ridge commanding the line of advance of the convoy. The 16th Lancers detachment charged with great dash and compelled them to retreat.

It was in this charge that 2nd Lieut. Younger "while gallantly leading his men" was mortally wounded, dying almost immediately. He is buried close to where he fell.

A chancel screen, a brass tablet in a slab of granite, and a stained glass window have been erected to his memory in St. John’s Church, Alloa. The tablet bears the inscription: "In loving memory of 2nd Lieut. E. J. Younger, 16th Queen’s Lancers, killed in action near Calvinia, Cape Colony, on Dec. 23rd, 1901, in his twentieth year. Erected by his Brother Officers."
Dr David Biggins

Clanwilliam Boer War graves 10 years 7 months ago #13939

• Brianc
  • Brianc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 49
David

I am definately not an expert but all other officers graves from this period I have seen are marble or granite, especially being Killed in Action.

Here is the plaque for Sgt Goldsworth, again very sad that they mis-identified the man.

Thanks again for the latest updates.

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.709 seconds