Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A trip to Edinburgh 10 years 10 months ago #11964

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hi Paul,
I take it you did not find any medals up there, I have not been to Edinburgh for around twenty years or so.
Lots of whisky shops and a few antique shops but no medals and I felt that I was perhaps twenty years too late.
Did you see that magnificent French eagle taken at Waterloo by Sergeant Charles Ewart?
Ewart's grave is on the esplanade outside the castle and there was a really nice little pub called the "Ensign Ewart" a little further down on the Lawnmarket.
Anyway, sounds like you enjoyed yourself, I always thought it was a very special place as a boy.
Regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A trip to Edinburgh 10 years 10 months ago #11969

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Frank,
No medals, only the displayed treasures in the castle which were not for sale :woohoo:
Yes I visited the Great Hall where Ewarts superb painting hangs asm1.tumblr.com/post/33529762170/paintin...astles-great-hall-of (not my pics) and I marvelled at the captured eagle that is displayed.

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hi Paul,
I take it you did not find any medals up there, I have not been to Edinburgh for around twenty years or so.
Lots of whisky shops and a few antique shops but no medals and I felt that I was perhaps twenty years too late.
Did you see that magnificent French eagle taken at Waterloo by Sergeant Charles Ewart?
Ewart's grave is on the esplanade outside the castle and there was a really nice little pub called the "Ensign Ewart" a little further down on the Lawnmarket.
Anyway, sounds like you enjoyed yourself, I always thought it was a very special place as a boy.
Regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

A trip to Edinburgh 10 years 10 months ago #11970

• coldstream
Hello Brett,
Thank you for posting this image, I do hope it has not been vandalised.

Brett Hendey wrote: Excellent posts, Paul. You certainly know how to arrange a good holiday!

The photo below was taken of a page in the book 'The Siege of Ladysmith in 120 Pictures' by Henry Kisch and published in 1900. The Dick-Cunyngham Memorial had by then only recently been built to replace the grave marker you photographed in the museum display. It is, or was still there a few years ago and untouched by the vandals who infest South Africa.

Regards
Brett

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

A trip to Edinburgh 10 years 10 months ago #11980

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
I have been searching my pictures for one of Duck Cunynghal's original grave but I haven't found it yet. Will keep searching ...
Dr David Biggins

A trip to Edinburgh 10 years 10 months ago #11985

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Ah yes, Richard Ansdell's "Fight for the Standard" :woohoo:
As Bonaparte said "those terrible grey horses"

coldstream wrote: Hello Frank,
No medals, only the displayed treasures in the castle which were not for sale :woohoo:
Yes I visited the Great Hall where Ewarts superb painting hangs asm1.tumblr.com/post/33529762170/paintin...astles-great-hall-of (not my pics) and I marvelled at the captured eagle that is displayed.

Frank Kelley wrote: Hi Paul,
Regards Frank

A trip to Edinburgh 10 years 10 months ago #11995

• coldstream
David,

I assume you typed this on your phone :blink:

djb wrote: I have been searching my pictures for one of Duck Cunynghal's original grave but I haven't found it yet. Will keep searching ...

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.214 seconds